"Cemetery Witnessing" on Memorial Day

by Morbidzbaby 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I've been wondering if this is just something that's done in my area, or if people do it all over.

Every year on Memorial Day, a lot of people meet for FS and then when they break into groups, they all discuss which cemeteries they are going to "work". Every major cemetery in the city is divvied up. The idea is, they take a stack of small tracts (usually the What Hope for Dead Loved Ones) and they basically park the car in the cemetery and walk around handing them out to the mourners. When they've made the outside loop and then all the inside aisles, they move on to another cemetery.

In other words, a person could be at their mother's grave crying and planting some bulbs, and a JW will walk right up to them and say "Good morning, I'd like to leave you something to read. It talks about the bible's promise of a resurrection hope for our dead loved ones."

Now, as a JW, I was still uncomfortable with this. These people are remembering that those they loved are gone. They are visiting to memorialize them. And in comes someone to stick religion in their face. At that time, their own religion is probably what strengthens them.

Now, as an ex JW, I think it's downright horrible to bother people like that. Worse than bothering them at their homes. Much worse. It's more personal. I was talking to my bf about it last night and he actually got angry. He asked me not to tell him anymore about it and compared the JW's with Westboro Baptist Church in their methods. Basically, you don't tread on someone else's grief in order to push your own agenda. You just don't. I fully agree with him.

Anyone else have this in their area?

• blondie
    blondie

This started a long time ago, with the institution of Memorial Day or its equivalent after WWI.

*** km 6/93 p. 1 par. 3 Why Tracts Are So Valuable in Our Ministry Today ***Some publishers who were witnessing on a street that led to a cemetery saw people whitewashing graves. The publishers used the opportunity to offer them tracts. The next day was a holiday on which many people visit the cemetery, so the publishers decided to stand at the entrance of the cemetery and offer tracts.

*** km 5/70 p. 7 Announcements ***The world’s “Memorial Day” holiday comes on Saturday, May 30, this year. Where appropriate, special witnessing may be arranged at cemeteries; otherwise, congregations may find it advantageous to share in regular magazine day activity.

*** w58 10/15 p. 624 Comforting All That Mourn ***In the United States it is a custom for mourners to decorate the graves of loved ones on what is known as “Decoration Day,” May 30 each year. So Jehovah’s witnesses made it a point to visit cemeteries on that day with the comfort of God’s resurrection hope, as contained in special issues of TheWatchtower and Awake!

Yet

*** sj p. 21 Holidays and Celebrations ***In some places there may also be a certain day set aside to memorialize a nation’s war dead, or a day to remember the birth of a country or certain prominent presidents, rulers or national heroes.

Jehovah’s Witnesses also respectfully refrain from participating in such national holidays.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Thanks blondie! I didn't know if that was something that was WTBTS commissioned or not.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this kind of thing?

• little witch
    little witch

Obviously, "being no part of the world" is overlooked as a marketing ploy. thankfully, I was not approached whilst visiting my departed loved ones. but yes, it is done all over. I for one would be sorely upset to be approached in such a way. It angers me greatly. Point being, if they are no part of the world, then stop stalking worldly holidays for the benifit of prosilizing.

lw

(who's right cap button is stuck)

• Haulin Oats
    Haulin Oats

Well to me, it lacks dignity and shows disrespect for the greiving person. Why should JW's wait until one day out of the year to attempt to console those in a cemetary? Why aren't cemetaries hit during the rest of the year? If JW's truly cared about how people felt, why do they forbid the funeral attendance of a deceased DF'd person? Aren't ALL sins paid for once that person dies?

Boy wouldn't that be awkward...."hey id like to leave this tract with you while you greive for your dead loved one". And the person then replies "Oh, he was a DF'd person that fought in a war who DIED for you so you can have the freedom to practice your religion".

• pubtruth
    pubtruth

Being from a majority JW household, we have no fallen soldiers in the family. But as you may all know I'm done believing the fake promise of paradise.. It would anger me greatly to have someone interrupt my, or someone elses solemn ocassion just to lure them into the org when they're most vulnerable.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I knew of a person that took note of the obituaries and would plan to visit the graves on the one-year anniversary! Really. They did that.

NC

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

@ NC~ Okay that's just sick. I knew of some who would read the obituary and try to find the address of the family and send them litteratrash or even go and visit!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well that person was praised for their ingenuity and love for Jehovah. Everyone wished they had thought of it.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

My little sister is one of the ones who reads obituaries and then sends letters or emails to the grieving family along with literature. Disgusting and absolutely no sense of propriety or boundaries.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit