Why God cannot have existed forever.

by sleepy 40 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Why God cannot have existed forever.
    This is something a friend of mine brought up a number of years ago.At the time i just thought that to understand how a god existed forever was just beyond our little brains.
    Well now after reading a lot more physics books I think its evidence a God couldn't have existed forever and therefore would had a begining (If there was a GOD).
    Basically if God had lived from infinity in the past we wouldn't have been created yet as there would always be forever untill we were created.
    Do you get that?
    At any point in time we could take, if time went back forever then you could never get to that point in time. You would always have infinity infront of you.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense as it is not easy to describe.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I get your drift.

I always wondered, if God had been around forever, why didn't He create us sooner?

The mind boggles.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Actually, it makes perfect sense.

The argument from design basically says that since life, the universe, and everything is so complex, it must have had a designer. Then it stops. What is doesn't consider, is that if the universe must have a designer, then how much more so must the designer have had a designer... and on and on.

The the argument from design doesn't answer anything at all. It merely pushes the problem back further. So, if something had to come from nothing, it might as well have been the universe.

Steven Hawking made the observation that, in his observation of the universe, there is nothing for God to do.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Why should we be the only game in town? I am sure we are just a very small part of whatever God does for a living. Also, we are in time right now, no matter who controls it.

I like this quote: “Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.”- Buckaroo Bonsai

Very profound

“We all fell down from the milky way, hanging around here for the judgement day, heaven only knows who’s in command.”- Jimmy Buffet

• moman
    moman

Kinda like that destination that you can never get to if you keep dividing the distance in half.

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

You can play even more thought experiments to test the absurdity of God being here forever. Consider this...why couldn't there have been TWO GODS that were here forever, why not 3,4,10, 100, 1000, or 29438573004592332 Gods? If you are going to use magical thinking and assume that one God was always here forever and ever it is just as valid to assume more Gods were there.

Another thought comes to mind when you think of the "God" problem. You can't expect God to be God without already having a universe in existence! Wanna know why? Well consider this...you cannot have any words or thoughts in your brain without some outside reference. You cannot have the word "tree" "car" "person" "apple" "sex" or anything else because all words need other words and words need real things.

It would be like a man blind from birth trying to conceptualize "color" it is impossible. So, get this: GOD would have no BRAINS. He couldn't think because there is nothing to think about.

This isn't a biological limitation either...the same thing holds true for computers. If there is no software installed there is no computation going on. Even if you use self programming alogrthyms they need to have rules, and an outside world to interact with.

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR GOD TO HAVE EXISTED FOREVER!

We know the universe had a begining...and there is not a chance of there being a God without a universe.

Skipper

• amccullough
    amccullough

Wow, astrophysicists now are we? I'm sorry, but your theory holds no ground. God is assumed metaphysical, not of our physical universe, and therefore cannot be proven or disproven by physics. Man's scientific studies may take us to the end of the universe and discover it's beginning and end, but who's not to say there's a whole lot more out there?

• moman
    moman

We can prove NOTHING! Life may be an ILLUSION.

• kpax
    kpax

Then the definition of Illusion is Reality. Because the perception of this Illusion is what we call Reality.

Kpax

• Satanus
    Satanus

Gopher

Maybe god did create us in an infinite past. Maybe our existence ended an infinity ago. Maybe we are figments in gods or the univers's memory banks. Maybe we don't exist at all.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit