False Stories

by Maze 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• Maze
    Maze

This was mainly referring to religious mythology. Satan is the author and orchestrator of false religion.
    Paul’s warning about false stories is part of his first letter to Timothy, a Christian overseer who was charged with preserving the purity of the congregation and helping fellow believers to remain faithful. (1 Tim. 1: 18, 19) Paul uses a Greek word that can refer to fiction, myth, or falsehood. According to The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia, this word refers to “a (religious) story that has no connection with reality.” Perhaps Paul had in mind religious lies promoted by sensational tales or fanciful legends. Such stories only “furnish questions for research”— that is, raise frivolous questions that lead to pointless research. False stories are a ploy of the arch deceiver, Satan, who uses religious lies and godless myths to sidetrack unsuspecting ones. Paul’s counsel is clear: Do not pay attention to false stories! ”—The Watchtower, July 15, 2011.

This could refer to other false stories as well. As an example:

http://www.jehovahswitnessblog.com/2010/11/another-family-destroyed-by-jehovahs.html

It recently came to my attention that yet another family has been torn apart by the loving Jehovah's Witness Organisation. The below experience is true although I have changed the names of the people involved so as to hide their identity. I can state that the following happened in the UK.

Richard and Gina are the loving parents within a Jehovah's Witness family. Their two daughters, Nina (18 years of age) and Mary (17 years of age) were born in The Truth™, as were their parents, Richard and Gina. Richard is an elder and Gina has been pioneering for the past 12 years. Gina's father, Bill, is a Circuit Overseer, and her mother, Rosemary, is a typical Circuit Overseer's wife.

The first paragraph raises a red flag. As we can see from the last paragraph the author of this story cares nothing about the reputation of Jehovah's Organization.

If anyone had the slightest doubt that the Jehovah's Witness faith isn't a cult, I think your idea of them now may have changed somewhat.

They make me sick. Oh, and for the love of God, don't even dare come on here and say that the above experience was an extreme one and that it doesn't happen.

Sick sick sick sick cult!

Throughout the story the father is demonized as a heartless dictator and the children and wife are portrayed as innocent doves. There's no reason to conceal the identity of the “elder-father” unless he doesn't exist except in cyberspace.

Even though both Nina and Mary have been going to the meetings all their life, they have both come to the decision that they do not want to be a part of the Jehovah's Witness faith. Now, in any other religion, this may have been frowned upon, but I doubt the following would have taken place.

When Richard got home, he spoke with Gina and explained everything that her parents had told him. He told her that he had made the decision to kick Nina out of the house that very night if she had decided to stick to her decision. Gina was distraught at the idea that her little girl would be cut-off. Where would she go? What would she do? Gina begged Richard to not take the advice of his in-laws. Richard told her that his decision was final.

"Nina, as your father, I do not respect nor value your decision. Both your mother and I have decided that you are no longer welcome to stay in the family home any longer. Please go upstairs and pack your stuff now. We want you out within three hours."

Nina sat there in shock. Gina and Mary started to cry. Richard gave a look of disgust towards his daughter Nina and then left the room.

Nina left that night. She has been living in a bed sit since. Gina has been providing her money and helping her secretly.

The biggest impact on all of this has been Mary. In the last two weeks, she has attempted suicide by overdosing on pain killers.

Gina has told me that she is seeking legal advice about getting a divorce. She has told me that Richard is unmovable in his stance. He knows that if he doesn't treat Nina as a disfellowshipped person, he risks being demoted from his lofty position as an elder in the congregation.

What's interesting is this person has access to word-for-word conversions even though he/she is obviously not one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Gina chooses to convey all of this information to an internet stranger for an exposure while remaining anonymous even though only “Richard” has anything to be ashamed of. I know the effect this alleged scenario has on a Christian parent as I've seen it many times.

w98 10/1 p. 8 par. 1 “Jehovah, a God Merciful and Gracious”

“MY DAUGHTER told me that she no longer wanted to be part of the Christian congregation,” says one Christian father. “For days, weeks, even months afterward, I felt a gnawing pain in my body. It was worse than death.” It is indeed distressing to see a loved one stray from the path of pure worship. Have you had such an experience? If so, you will be comforted to know that Jehovah has empathy for you. (Exodus 3:7; Isaiah 63:9) But how does he view such erring ones? The Bible shows that Jehovah mercifully invites them to be restored to his favor. He implored the rebellious Jews of Malachi’s day: “Return to me, and I will return to you.”—Malachi 3:7.

They're obviously not to be kicked out of the home or treated as a disfellowshipped person. In thirty years time, I know of one instance where a Witness youth was ordered to leave home over something trivial. I wouldn't characterize this father as a Witness who had his priorities intact. The elders sat the “brother” down and explained that what he did was unacceptable and he needed to welcome his son back home.

What is more, is an elder is not removed simply because his son or daughter chooses to quit attending meetings and pursues a course of action that doesn't merit excommunication from the congregation. Even if a teenager gets disfellowshipped you can't necessarily ask them to leave. For one thing, (to my knowledge) it's against the law in the United States and UK to kick a youth out of the home until they're over the age of 17 years old.

lv p. 208 How to Treat a Disfellowshipped Person

What if a relative is disfellowshipped?

In some instances, the disfellowshipped family member may still be living in the same home as part of the immediate household. Since his being disfellowshipped does not sever the family ties, normal day-to-day family activities and dealings may continue.

“Richard” turned his back on his children not “Gina.” I've observed quite a few men and women commit adultery and turn their back on their family. On all accounts, the children, teenagers or otherwise, didn't attempt suicide by any means. Why aren’t these adults portrayed as “sick sick sick sick...” This was last story I paid any attention to online because most of them don't add up and some opposers thrive of this type off information.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Just because you personally have never experienced or known anyone in such a situation doesn't mean that they don't happen. Maybe YOU think they are "false stories" because you can't stand the fact that some of them, most of them, are true. Turning a blind eye and assuming they are false does not make them so. Ignoring the truth doesn't turn it into a lie in reality, only in your own mind.

What of all the "stories", the testimonies, of victims of childhood sexual abuse? Are those "false stories", too? What of the stories of the severe beatings some JW children have endured and the subsequent mental and emotional scars of such abuse? Are those also "false stories"?

The truth is, the only "false stories" we find around here are the cut & paste dialogs that you post from the Watchtower.

• baltar447
    baltar447

omg, seriously Maze? The WT is NOTORIOUS for changing the names of people. If you're being critical of someone's story, then you have to be equally critical of the WT and Awake articles that change the names of people.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Have a look at the footnote on page 17 of the July 15 2011 Watchtower. It refers to the book of Tobit, and describes it as being full of absurd tales of sorcery and magic. The book of Tobit is a part of the Greek Septuagint Old Testament dating from 300 B.C. and the story of the seven brothers is referred to in the New Testament. The WTS have blundered badly, again.

• Maze
    Maze
    "omg, seriously Maze? The WT is NOTORIOUS for changing the names of people. If you're being critical of someone's story, then you have to be equally critical of the WT and Awake articles that change the names of people."

It depends on what's involved. If a person conveys a story that brings reproach on a person or organization they need to identify themselves.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Ok Maze, if the experiences in the WT and Awake quote people that are providing an encouraging story(or one that isn't negative against a person or "organisation"), then why hide their identity?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Something very similar happened in my own family, so this story totally has the ring of truth. In fact I'm sure it is fairly common among JWs, since the younger generation is leaving the organization in droves.

• Maze
    Maze
    Ok Maze, if the experiences in the WT and Awake quote people that are providing an encouraging story(or one that isn't negative against a person or "organisation"), then why hide their identity?

This is just one issue. Now, you can query, “LIFE STORIES OF JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES” on the Watchtower CD and there are hundreds where real names are given. I'm looking but I can't find a story about another religion similar to the one I posted. If there's something seriously disparaging, especially anything criminal about an organization, the WTBTS generally just relays what's in the media or documented history.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby
    Now, you can query, “LIFE STORIES OF JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES” and there are hundreds where real names are given.

But yet, other "encouraging stories" are given as examples in articles and books published by the WTBTS and the names are changed. Or the person who the article is referring to is named as "One young Christian" or "One Christian elder" or "One Christian wife", etc. Names are omitted altogether. Your argument is totally baseless.

• Crisis of Conscience

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit