The Watchtower Penitentiary

by stuckinamovement 33 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Learning the truth about the Watchtower Society can be very painful for a number of reasons. First, it is so disconcerting to realize that the core of your existence and the foundations of your beliefs are false that it can throw you for a real loop. As Witnesses we are so confident in all of the answers we have been given, to questions that we never asked, that we mentally put ourselves up on a pedestal above the masses of poor, blind, “wicked” humanity. It sucks to realize that you are in the same place as all of the people you would look down upon previously. It is terrible when you look back and consider that your entire life up to this point has been devoted to faulty concepts generated by similarly deluded men.

Compounding this is the fact that once you learn the truth about the organization, if you are an active Witness you must continue to act as if you believe in the organization and the “unique teachings of Jehovah’s Witnesses”. If you choose to leave quietly you will lose your reputation, your friends and possibly even you family. So you find yourself in the position of losing your pat sense of security in having all of the answers to mankind’s problems, your hope for the future in a paradise petting lions, and you begin to consider your own mortality. What makes it all worse is that many of us continue to go through the motions of being a Witness because of the fact that there is no way out of the religion without doing major damage to ourselves or more importantly our family.

You begin to consider that you have limited time to live on this earth and it is downright depressing to think that you will have to pretend to believe in and support a lie, that you must call truth.

There are many of us who are trapped in the Watchtower Penitentiary. Learning the truth about the organization does set you free, in terms of releasing you out of the mental prison cell you have been put in. What is funny about it is, the cell doors were never locked, we just were told that they were. However, there are many of us who even though we are released from our solitary cells, continue to roam the corridors of the penitentiary waiting for the moment when we can walk out as free men and women.

Some of us can’t bear the thought of remaining in the penitentiary for the rest of our lives and storm the gates. Others calmly and quietly wait for a door to open that will allow them to escape. Still others resign themselves to imprisonment for the remainder of their days.

As I think about my situation and reflect on how I wander the corridors of the Watchtower penitentiary with my newfound mental freedom, I realize that it is most important to stand up for what I know is right and receive my physical freedom also.

So I have determined to speak out against the wrong doctrines and practices that I see. I know that this will result in damage to both me and the ones I love. However, as a born-in who has been taught from infancy, I have always felt that it is important to take a stand for what is right, even if it means a great loss. So for me personally, I am breaking out of this prison that I have been born into. Soon I will be able to introduce myself in real life. Life is too short to allow yourself to be forever imprisoned mentally and physically by an organization that is based on a fallacy.

Psst, to those reading this that are lurking…..Your cell door isn’t locked.

SIAM

• leavingwt
  • Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

As a fellow born-in I am rooting you on....GO SIAM GO!!!!!

Thanks for that post, very well said indeed

CHG

• mrquik
    mrquik

Best of Luck. I too, was born in. Got DF'd after a divorce. Had every intention of going back. Mercifully, the committee decided to make an example of me & dragged their feet long enough for me to realize the truth. Since then, I remarried a wonderful girl & enjoy every day of my life. Got a tattoo & applied for my pistol permit. I travel throughout the Caribbean & Mexico. I ride my Harley every sunny day in New York. (Like twice a year) I've come to realize that we are not at the "end" of anything. WBTS is not the "true" religion. Until I find it, I'm going to Live Well...Enjoy Life. Feel free to do the same.

• sd-7
    sd-7

"There's something wrong here. Like this whole city wants to scream, but no one makes a sound. There's something wrong here. So I'm going to find out what it is, and I'm going to tear it down."--The Protomen, 'Breaking Out'.

"It's called an ubliette. That's French for 'a place of forgetting'. No bars, no doors, no locks. Just walls of air."--Malagant, 'First Knight'.

It's hard to adjust to normal life, just like for a prisoner. I'm still enslaved mentally and not quite fully free myself. I still feel the same guilt about so many of the same things.

I hope your prison break is way more successful than mine was.

--sd-7

• clarity
    clarity

Siam, very well written and you are so on the money!

The part about wandering the corridors .....waiting, made me feel sick.

Exactly the space I am in. I can feel it in my body and mind. This stress is a killer, I fear. My spirit, however gets a chance to run from it periodically, to dance and laugh and flirt with real life. It can imagine better things and forget the imprisonment ... for awhile, but not my mind and body.

I want to end it too, but must hold it in for a short while. It's like trying to keep a bunch of cats in a sack, they keep spilling out and yowlling ...ssshhhh quiet down.....

Happy for you to see this amazing comparison, thanks for sharing it and very best good luck.

clarity

• clarity
    clarity

sd-7

"Like this whole city wants to scream, but no one makes a sound"

So profound eh? Don't think I'll ever get them out of my head!

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Thanks for your comments. I wonder how many people are currently wandering the corridors with me?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    It's hard to adjust to normal life, just like for a prisoner. I'm still enslaved mentally and not quite fully free myself. I still feel the same guilt about so many of the same things.

SD-7, you know why that is, and you know that only you can change it.

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

I'm wandering...but getting bored fast. I'm about to throw two fingers up and say PEACE! (then shake the dust of my feet)

Maybe I'll meet some DF'd ones in my area and we can Work some of our former territories with the JWs that are still in. We can work the streets right behind them passing out information in various forms to the householders to WARN them of this destructive cult. You know something is wrong when you go out in FS with only your Bible and the group is looking at you like "Where's your bag with the magazines?" I answer "Trying to start Bible Studies...so I just got my bible to share scriptures with them." Funny how they then look at you sideways as if that's strange. (Bible without WT or Awake, that's a concept huh?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit