Throw out that debasing music, you sheeple!

by undercover 37 Replies latest jw friends

• unshackled
    unshackled

One of my lowest JW moments was throwing out Led Zeppelin II. I was so into it...but one night had a nightmare.

Blamed it on the Led and threw it out! I'll never turn my back on the Led again.

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

Cool post! When I was reading the bit of the artical I couldn't help but apply them to the SOCIETY and many of the R&F. LOL (haughty, self-assuming, disloyal, not having natural affection...no open to any agreement.)

GB - "use your power of reason", unless its our information...in which case you should "blindly follow"

Amazing how the Org has taught us so well how to use Scripture to our own advantage. They should look in the mirror...and past publications.

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

My wife thinks I threw out all of my CDs.... but I moved them to a hard drive. swing them over to my ipod every now and then so I can play them in my car.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

While I don't particularly enjoy ALL music genre's, BUT music still is art. Literature is art. And when you banish art, well....

“Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.”

- some guy.

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

I listened to Ozzy and Sabbath, and that sometimes bothered my conscience. I think it opened my mind though.

• undercover
    undercover
    I listened to Ozzy and Sabbath, and that sometimes bothered my conscience.

My first experience with Black Sabbath. I was in school. Can't remember the grade but early enough that I was still pretty naive as to the really cool music that was forbidden to me.

Anyhoo - some guys in my class brought a Sabbath album to school. Before class while the teacher was out, these guys used the class record player (POS that it was) to play it. They had started listening to it and were jamming as well as they could on a 8" crappy speaker when the JW kid walks in - me.

I heard the strange music as I came into the room. I saw the cover and the words "Black Sabbath". I knew immediately that this was some sinister, evil, demonic sound coming from the tinny speaker. I loved it.

But - the angels prevailed. Before I could really start to groove on it, the record player broke. Just quit. The angel had slid in between the stylus and the vinyl reandering the connection useless and therefore saving my young, naive, tender JW ears from Satan's screeching.

I took that as a sign that Jehovah was protecting me from music that debases. So I avoided all things Sabbath... until my senior year when they started to get more airplay on the radio. Then I heard them again and started liking it again. This time the angels didn't stop the radio. I took that as a sign that the previous experience was a coincidence and that it was not supernatural beings at work.

I was a few years behind my peers, but I quickly caught up on the music of Sabbath and similar bands. I did have to keep it hidden from my parents. Bobby Goldsboro and Slim Whitman album covers came in handy in those days.

Then a few years later came the crack down. The talks, the articles. I got a guilty conscience. I threw it all out.

Later, I grew a new pair and replaced my Sabbath and still listen to them occasionaly when I get nostalgic.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I had a Black Sabbath album that I hid in the attic. I was afraid to have it, afraid to listen to it, but it was a tiny bit of rebellion I could hang on to.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Almost impossible to not be entertained by what Jehovah hates. We are not to love this world or the things in it. Makes for being a witness or anyone else trying to please God a very delicate walk. I've thrown away thousands of dollars worth of CD's, Videos and the like before. Their admonition is not entirely wrong. I agree that the viewing of questionable material should be avoided.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I had a Morrissey CD with the song "Ouija Board",but, instead of ,throwing out the whole CD,I just recorded the Bible reading over that song,lol. I learned that trick from a sister I met in pioneer school. She's been out of the organization for several years now,or so I've heard. But,I appreciated the tip.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Alice in Chains - Man in a box. - Deny your maker-

I'm on the fence with Chop Suey - by System of a Down. Not sure exactly what he's trying to say. Also Toxicity by the same band. I don't think he has much tolerance toward Christianity or faith, from an interview I saw of him once.

I can't think of another at the moment, off the top of my head. There are a few more though.

Really? How do those question God or talk bad about him? I'm a bit confused.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit