Did you ever shun someone close? How did you feel?

by jean-luc picard 27 Replies latest jw friends

• itscrap&theyknowit!
    itscrap&theyknowit!

TROUBLEMIND -

Yes. One of my sisters is disfellowshipped.... for a second time. First of all, she should've NEVER been baptised in this mess. She has moderate mental deficiencies. Mom pushed for her to be baptised when she was only 16/17. She had NO IDEA what she was getting into then and still has no idea. She's kinda like a chameleon...changes her point of view when the wind blows. Very easily manipulated. My Mom would use, "I'm gonna have to take your sister to the brothers, again," to keep her on track. We went thru YEARS of my little sister staying 'in trouble' for the sake of the borganization. Mom and Dad were NEVER pure JWs anyway. It was for convenience only.

Now that I nolonger attend, I try to be there to help my sister. She has 2 children that she has no idea of how to raise. She's just out making babaies. The older, my parents are raising and the second one, EVERYBODY is helping to raise. My 'being there for her' has caused a problem. Human-kindness has caused a problem. I don't condone her pregnancies or her way of life, at all. I REFUSE to see her hungry, dirty or anyone abusing her.

JWs just need to control all they can. They will make you leave a person totally destitute regardless of what is going on in their lives. So, in the end, I gained my little sister back, but lost other JW relatives. We're both better off.

• undercover
    undercover

I've told the story before...and how I felt afterwards. I felt awful. How can one feel so bad for doing what is right? Because it ain't right. It's wrong. And I swore then and there that I would never shun someone like that ever again. Even though I was still a believing JW at the time, I decided for myself to practice what Jesus would do, not what the WTS said I should do. And until I finally left, I never did shun a DFd/DAd person again.

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

I never obeyed that. especially when my brother was DF'd. We still hung out. He's my brother!...no GB can tell me to shun my family. really? Persons divided in faith or thought doesn't mean we can't get along. And his short-comings had nothing to do with me, so why should I care? How one takes care of home is their business. I don't even have any true "friends" in the TRUTH anymore, so when the shunning begins...i wont even feel it. My parents will shun me...but other than the one brother, the rest of our family (extended and siblings) are WORDLY! yayeee!! maybe I'll visit my sister's church when I get out. LOL

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I shunned my sister when she left and was a known smoker. I was pressured by my (ex)wife. I gave in and shunned my sis. Not long after, she and my other sister disappeared. I did not see or hear from my sisters for about 2 years. I didn't know if they were alive or dead. It pained me to know that my last act between me and my sister was the harshness of shunning a family member. Eventually, I reconnected with both of my sisters. I then learned that during those intervening years, my sister had gotten pregnant, had a child, and put her up for adoption. I felt (and still feel) nothing but shame and sadness at my conduct back then. Here, my own flesh and blood was on the run from an abusive man, pregnant with a child and then going through the pain of adopting out a child with no family support whatsoever. It's one of my biggest regrets in life. I will never forgive them for putting my family in thiat spot.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Yes,I shunned my best friend after she was disfellowshipped. It broke my heart,but I felt loyalty to Jehovah should come first. And I was also angry at my friend,because I felt it was her choice that ended our friendship.

I have since reunited with her of sorts. Of course,it will never be like it was,and there are many years in between that we missed sharing our lives with each other.

Fortunately,she forgives me and understands why I did shun her.

• confusednsad
  • confusednsad
  • Snoozy
    Snoozy

We only had one lady that was ever disfellowshipped when I was going out of 15 years...but even tho I had never met her as they had recently moved into the district..I was told we weren't supposed to talk to her. She had been disfellowshipped for smoking..

I always felt that it was not right ..it didn't feel natural. My instincts knew better than they did..

I smiled at her as I walked out of the hall..she was later reinstated after she quit..

She is probably grateful now as she doesn't have to worry as much about getting lung cancer..

Snoozy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit