• pirata
    pirata

@OUTLAW:

@moshe:

@EntirelyPossible:

@Ziddina:

• moshe
    moshe
    Is it nice to tell someone they are doing a good job when they aren't?

There is a saying, "Kind words are not true and true words are not kind."

The tendency of many x-JWs is to take the easy road out of the KH, the back door at midnight, keep the lip zipped,etc.- is it weakness or fear of man/elders/relatives? Life teaches us that what you get the easy way does not usually amount to much. We can't help people, if we don't tell them when they need to do better.

We had a vice-president at Temple in charge of remodeling the front restrooms and he picked out some very masculine colors for the tile and counter tops. Now, to avoid hurting his feelings (he worked very hard- volunteering his work on the job) the ladies didn't tell him what they really thought of their restroom decor- Guess what?--- when the back restrooms were remodeled a year later he bought the same ugly brown/green tile and countertops for them,too! Why?--- becaause he got some nice compliments (from men) on the original job!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Moshe's words are very wise...

But, being a brat, I'm going to drag this thread down the - hopefully a humorous path, but more likely it will be an impish, childish path...

Pirata!!

You didn't actually SAY anything!!!

(PS... Maybe I shouldn't let this 'cat' out of the bag, but... Try typing in stuff, and then using the "Select text color" to "white"... Hint, hint... )

Like THIS, Pirata, you silly MAH - GILLEY!!!

Zid

• still thinking
    still thinking

My guess....he had nothing nice to say

Cute trick Zid

• tec
    tec

You can give someone constructive criticism without being rude or obnoxious or callous about it. Sometimes, however, people might want to take a moment and consider if their constructive criticism is really worth 'all that'.

If you complain for the sake of complaining, or criticize for the sake of criticizing... or insult someone at all for that matter... then that is where the op rule applies, I believe.

Peace,

Tammy

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

If you don't have anything nice to say.........................move your chair a little bit closer to mine.

JDW

• Farkel
    Farkel

pirata,

If you have nothing important to say (which you don't) then you shouldn't be telling people what to say or what not to say. Should Thomas Jefferson had taken your idiotic advice, there would have been NO Declaration of Independence. I can name a whole bunch of people to disprove your idiotic statement. Jesus Christ is one of them. Read Matthew chapter 23 and get back to me on that one.

Two words come to my mind: "hypocrite" and "moron." Oh, and "self-righteous asshole."

Farkel

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yes, being honest doesn't have to hurt.

Is it worth hurting someone with your words?

What is your intent in telling them something that may be hard to take?

Is is REALLY to help them, or is it more likely that you want to get the upper hand in the conversation by brining them down and making them feel bad?

One upping another is juvenile.

Constructive criticism makes the receiver feel cared for.

It must be applied kindly.

This doesn't apply to self-defence all the time, however.

Making a person feel defensive is counter productive to a caring goal of "helping."

I've seen so much rudeness on this board and with it claims of "helping."

That's BS and the so called "helpers" know it.

That kind of help is arrogant and self-righteous.

No need of it here.

• pirata
    pirata

Farkel,

PS. When do we get part 2 of your story?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit