Dear Mr. Gates ....

by talesin 32 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

I was reading my new W7 manual, and thought the following paragraph was hilarious!!!

Others fear that Microsoft will somehow exploit them through automatic
    updates. That’s not the way it works. Microsoft has tens of millions of customers
    and tens of billions of dollars. It doesn’t need to exploit anybody to be
    successful. Desperate people (and companies) do desperate, exploitive things.
    Microsoft is as far from desperate as you can get .

[ NOTE: Does this remind you of anyone org you know? ]

No, Microsoftwould never exploit anyone. lolololol!

The whole frickin' O/S is set up so that regular folk need technical support, just to figure it out. Holy Jeebus! The average consumer is paying $100 to FutureShop to "set up" their PC! (ie, click a few buttons, and copy a couple of discs).

Oh, and by the way,,, the automatic update from IPv4 to IPv6 cut me off from my ISP as they exclusively use IPv4, and was impossible to uninstall IPv6, so I had to wipe my new PC and reinstall the O/S.

Just sayin',,, Billy boy!!

Also, the Norton and MacAfee software they provide us with as a free trial and urge us to buy? USELESS CRAP!

Your current partner in "crimes against the technologically average", ACER, has a Trojan Horse embedded in its home page, specially designed for those new users who want to buy "Bejewelled",,, and neither of the above software programs can find/isolate it. It took an installation of AVG, 10 days later, to find said virus, and by that time, it was too late to save the system (the corruption of system files had begun).

And goddess forbid you may want to tweak anything before reading the 1200 page W7 manual!

tal

*okay, rant's over ... as you were*

• prophecor
    prophecor

Aye Aye Sir..ahhhemmm I mean, Maam!!!

• luna2
    luna2

I'm beginning to feel too stupid to even buy a new computer. My current computer is 5 years old and has (I think...based on a phone conversation with my friend's husband) a faulty power supply. The computer will just shut off...no blue screen, no warning. When I first got this thing it only did it maybe once a month, now it shuts down at least once a day. Ah well, I can't afford a new computer anyway.

• talesin
    talesin

lol proph

luna -- it's not you, really!

"power supply" is code for the little fan in your tower, they can burn out at any time - you should be able to get it replaced for about $35-40 by someone who freelances.

tal

• Heaven
  • Quarterback
    Quarterback

I see Bill Gates, Boat/Yaught sail up the Pacific Coast in Mexico every January. That Yaught takes alot of gas to run. It's no wonder that Bill Gates is creative in building his Empire.

• Heaven
    Heaven

OK, so I know this started off as a "Microsoft" thread, but this video about Macintosh always gets me laughing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3q8_40GBuI

• luna2
    luna2

talesin:

Yeah, its me. I only pop in about once or twice a year any more.

Thanks for the info on the power supply problem.

• Anime Nerd
    Anime Nerd

Talesin,

You don't need tech support to figure out computer problems. If I encounter a computer problem, I always do the following: Google my problem or error mesage to see if anyone else found a solution to the problem. If that doesn't work, I find a tech related forum (like the websites TomsHardware and AVSforum), and post my problem there and ask for help. When asking for help on a forum, list your computer's specifications, and then describe your problem in great detail. If the first 2 steps don't work, then format your hard and re-install the operating system. But you already knew that last step.

Nortorn And McAfee are garbage. I hate how companies like Dell and HP put so much bloat-ware on their computers. I prefer to build my coputer from parts bought off of Newegg. I then install Windows 7, and only the programs that I want on there. No free trials of anything.

For anti-virus protection, I would strongly recomend that you download and install "Microsoft Security Essentialls." It's a free anti-virus software from Microsoft. It uses very little resources to run. It's updated pretty regularlly. And its effective at what it's supposed to do. As long as you have a registered legitimate version (not stolen) of Windows XP, Vista, or 7, than you can download it for free from Microsoft. And its free forever; not some 90 day trial. And there's only 1 version of the program. There's no paid version of it.

Computers can be frustrating, but there's free help out there, you just have to know where to look.

• talesin
    talesin

Heaven -- luvs the Granite Planet and its people! stay where you're to, till I come where you're at! the Apple one had me LMAO! Speaking of funny Newfies, have you seen this one ....donnie dunphy rocks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2XEGaMP1cM

QB - years ago, Gates had a hard time wiggling out of gov't charges of trying to monopolize the biz - he squeezed out Wang, IBM, and Apple all in one fell swoop. He ticked me off, and I never got over it.... hehehe

luna - :) same thing happened to me, with my last one,,, was lucky enough to have help w/it

Anime Nerd -- welcome to the forum! Great advice, and thanks! Yes, that is what I did while troubleshooting, but a lot of folks, especially those exiting the b'Org, are new to the net and may have a really hard time with this stuff. Finding online help can be trying, even for the reasonably experienced (yet still technologically average) user.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit