How Do You Feel About Your Country?

by sizemik 17 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik

There is such an international flavour on this board . . . and I really love that.

As an XJW . . . how do you feel these day's about your Country . . . do you feel part of it?

You may be native or immigrant?, a minority race?, have limitations and/or opportunities? that differ from others?

And how does your Country contribute to the Global community?

How does it connect with other Countries and that?

What do you think would make it better?

I wonder what you guys in other Countries think about this?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Rip off Britain, too much tax and not given back to the people.

But it is very pretty, in places.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

On one hand i love it... we escaped so much of the GFC either by luck or policy i don't know. Fabulous scenery, affordable housing is still available if you can live outside the cities.

But on a social level it aint doing so well, illegal immigrants get massive government payments while our old citizens can't survive on poverty level pensions.

But i can think of countries that i would visit but not want to live in...

oz

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I now have double nationality, which is rather amusing. I can pick the best of both worlds.

I find different cultures facinating. When on holiday overseas, I love to get off the beaten track a little and mix with the grass roots natives. Its very enriching.

Maybe a gift that the borg has left us with, is an easier acceptance of other races.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I feel great about it. Sure I could complain about high taxes and what-not but I work with a diverse group of people from all over the world. When they explain what it is like in the country they came from, I am so very glad and grateful to live in Canada.

Canadian Flag

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I come from the land down under.

My ancestors all migrated from Europe, including Greece and Denmark. The first came here in the early-mid 1800s, the last came just before WW1. Because of the Greek blood I'm not completely Anglo-Saxon and it is reflected in my personality.

I love Australia. I love its sunny skies, the friendly people, the easy-going culture, the opportunity to do what you want. We have high taxes but the unemployed are looked after, and you can get free health services. I agree with AussieOz that our senior citizens need to be better looked after, but compared to other countries, they're doing better than most.

I've travelled all over the world, including living in one country for almost a year, so I think I can say with good authority that Australia is the best country to live in. There are few other countries I'd live in if I couldn't live here.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am proud to be an American in terms of its principles. College and professional school exposed me to a truer history than taught in public school. There is much to be proud about and much to cringe about. Living in NY and being part of the Eastern Establishment, I've always been Eurocentric. Foreign affairs and global economics intrigue me.

I worked for the U.S. Senate. It seemed surreal growing up with the Capitol as an icon and seeing all these leaders on TV then working there and seeing them in the hallways and cafeteria. I pray that our presidents are more together than the crew I saw up close and personal.

When 9/11 happened, I was shocked that Americans did consider NY part of the US. I like to be a world citizen. Basically, I was born America, this is my home. I know nothing else. When my life is in jeoopardy going about my routine business b/c of where I live, I become more American.

I am interested in civics in public schools. History is so exciting with larger than life characters. Yet they teach us nothing but lies.

• Giordano
    Giordano

American. Very proud of my country, an incredible melting pot. But we have got to stop getting into needless wars. In all of our wars only two or three were justified. Before going to war, propping up our banks and debating health care we should first consult with Canada, they are now the adults in this hemisphere.

• clarity
    clarity

Love this country of my birth. Couldn't leave it.

Now that I've lived so long, I can look waayyyy back and have to say that I miss the "old days".... when life was simpler, less traffic, buying a house was affordable, home invasions and shooting deaths were almost unheard of... you could leave your doors unlocked! Oh well, still it's best place on earth for me.

Heaven, thanks for flying the flag!

c

• AGuest
    AGuest

It depends (peace to you, dear sizemik!): I am VERY proud of and happy about some things and VERY sad and ashamed of other things. I can't say that I'd rather live elsewhere because I've never lived elsewhere. In the same vein, I can't say I wouldn't for the same reason. I love living in California, but I also loved living in NY. And I love northern Cali, but love southern Cali, as well. Personally, I don't get "patriotism"... Not when it puts manmade borders over people... aand over the good of the ENTIRE earth. % don't get OmicroO community pride... oover global community pride. Because before we're Americans... oor Canadians... or Irish.. or Indian... or Jewish... or Muslim.. or black... or white... or male... or female... or young... or old... or rich... or poor... or sick... or well... We are all HUMAN. So, the whole "my (whatever) is better than your (whatever)... which translates, truthfuuly, into "I am better than you"... makes NO sense to me. Never did. I am glad only to the extent that my own sufferings are perhaps not as bad as some; however, that includes the sufferings of the rich as WELL as those of the poor. Human boundaries, though, always tned to oppress someone. Somewhere. Again, peace to you! A slave of Christ, SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit