Bearing Thorough Witness not so subliminal

by Infowarrior 31 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• maninthemiddle
  • baltar447
    baltar447

Before anyone jumps all crazy about the "goat head" read this:

http://www.roman-empire.net/army/signifer.html

Pic of a Roman Standard that looks very similar to the one on the cover of the book.

• maninthemiddle
  • clarity
    clarity

Giving the old face palm!?? Really? Some seem to be very condescending for a first post!

Welcome Infowarrior .... good job!

clarity

• talesin
    talesin

Welcome, Infowarrior

I'm sorry, but having a hard time --- what is the point? Yes, there appears to be a face in the cloud, but I'm not 'getting' it ?

clarity - maybe you can do just that, and clarify ?

tal

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I find the scorn displayed here a bit disappointing, though, sadly, not unexpected.

Psychological manipulation is very evident throughout Watchtower literature. Many of those contributing to this board acknowledge it every day. Why is it easy to acknowledge when the manipulation is by word, but the idea of supplementing it through illustration and symbolic image worthy of ridicule?The advertising world have acknowledged the power and value of subliminal image in manipulatiing thought and deed among the unwary, and have demonstrated it for a long time, as, way back in the 1950's, Vance Packard made clear in his groundbreaking book "The Hidden Persuaders", recently republished and as relevant now as it was then. In addition, ancient mythology and serious academic occult literature are full of detailed information on sign and symbol, much of it available on the web.

Whatever you think of it, it is powerful stuff at a deep psychological level. I, for one, am grateful to Infowarrior for bringing this to our attention...and yes, clarity, I agree, it wasn't much of an encouraqgement to a first poster...and I very much hope that this thread will attract more considered responses than it's done so far.

Still, Mad Sweeney, I absolutely love the Worf gif. I've filched it!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Infowarrior...you have mail! I sent you a Private Message.

Click on the envelope at the top right of the Forum screen, next to where it welcomes you by name. If you get an error message, (I always do, it seems) try reloading or clicking again on the envelope. It will eventually open!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The advertising world have acknowledged the power and value of subliminal image in manipulatiing thought and deed among the unwary, and have demonstrated it for a long time, as, way back in the 1950's, Vance Packard made clear in his groundbreaking book "The Hidden Persuaders", recently republished and as relevant now as it was then.

The advertising world has NOT "acknowledged the power and value of subliminal image." I've read "The Clam Plate Orgy" and other books on the subject and the conclusion is this: ANYONE can write a book.

It is exactly as relevant now as then. Not relevant at all. Subliminal images are junk science at best and a ridiculous and dangerous scam at worst.

Find a peer reviewed psychology journal that affirms subliminal images' power in "manipulating thought and deed among the unwary" and I will admit my mistake. Until then it is junk science, baloney, crap, and it is worthy of as many facepalm images as I can find.

Glad you liked Worf, btw. I think it is important to be able to be straightforward in our opinions without people taking it personally. I spent over 40 years in an organization that forces people to talk in circles so as to avoid "stumbling" anyone and I won't do it anymore. I'll be polite in general but I'm going to call things as I see them.

No offense intended to anyone personally.

Giving the old face palm!?? Really? Some seem to be very condescending for a first post!

As for that, when one's first post is on subliminal images in BorgLit, what more respect is due? And why does it matter if this is a first post or a 1001st? I respond based on the merits of a topic, not on personalities or imposed social taboos. Like I said above, I'm not here to avoid "stumbling" anyone.

• talesin
    talesin

Mad - thanks, I couldnt figure out what the thread was about,,,

Chariklo -- a direct question I asked, and your ignorance of that is just as rude as anything else on this thread. The post was obtuse, and I asked for clarification. You have a problem with that, okay, then.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL. So maybe the guy at Bethel who draws these North-Korean-style pictures of happy shiny people is totally bored out of his tiny mind, and slips a spare face onto a picture. Big deal. That's the least of the problems with this sick organization...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit