Job interview tips

by d 37 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

In previous jobs I have been HR and an accounting manager. The following is based on having been the interviewer, as well as interviewee.

The first thirty seconds is critical. Dress appropriately for the type of job in your area. Being slightly overdressed never hurts. Minimal jewelry, perfume/cologne. Do use a good deoderant, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash and a breath mint just before you go through the front door. No I'm not kidding. This is especially true if you smoke.

Take an extra copy of your resume, and a cheat sheet with the names, addresses phone numbers etc for previous employers. This is for your use when filling out their application.

Make sure you know where your going. Leave early in case traffic is bad. If you get there too early (more than about ten minutes before the appointment time, walk around the block and relax, deep breathing helps.

Take your cell phone (but turn it off before you go into the interview). Make sure you have a name and phone number with you. Being late is a killer, calling on your cell phone and saying "the freeway is a parking lot and the nearest exit is a mile away. I can be there in half an hour or we can reschedule" can actually make you look good, assuming there was in fact an accident or something on the freeway.

LOOK THE INTERVIEW IN THE EYE, SMILE, BRIEF BUT FIRM HANDSHAKE.

Good luck!

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I have been involved in many interviews from both sides of the table. It seems that quite often, ones qualifications are secondary to how well one comes across as someone they would like to work with even if it meant they'd have to train you a little.

Don't make them drag answers out of you. Do some research of the Company and of the position you are applying for so that you can use this information to better understand what they are looking for in a candidate and to explain to them why you would be the right choice. It can be helpful to weave this information into your interview. For instance if you find out that the company has recently become involved with shipping hazerdous waste materials, you could mention that although the position you are applying for is primarily clerical, you are quite familiar with local regulations regarding the shipment of hazardous waste and have attended 88 hours of State sponsored training seminars on the subject. Or Later at the end of the interview when they typically ask you if you have any questions, you could say " I read online that you will be shipping xyz chemical to the recycling plant in Ohio, and I wondered if my Haz Mat certicication and experience with State shipping forms would be relative to my duties.

If you have to give a "no" answer, replace it with a positive alternative. Q. Have you ever been a Project Manager? "No, not offically, however I was responsible for monitoring the progress of several "in house" projects, which involved record keeping, quality control and scheduling etc."

When you answer yes to a question, follow the answer up with an example. Q. Have you you ever been a supervisor? " Yes, in fact I currently supervise 3 full time employees and 2 seasonal workers. Each of them report directly to me and I was heavily involved in their hiring process.

Don't be too grim...look for a way to make them chuckle (if appropriate) and remember you. When being introduced to the last interview panel I was in front of, prompted by a comment one of the interviewers made, I said with a mock British Accent "Take it easy on me today folks...I bruise as easily as a peach, don't you know" ( you had to be there...it worked in that situation, everyone laughed. P.S. I got the job even though I don't have an Engineering Degree. I found out later that even though my qualifications didn't quite match what they had in mind, my experience did...they liked my interview and thought I'd fit in well with the organization. 4years later I'm still hanging in there despite cutbacks etc)

• d
    d

I also need some tips to ease off the nervousness. I took acting classes in school so this should probably help.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

They are often nervous as well. They expect you to be nervious...in fact it shows how highly important the process is to you. Remember, they want to find someone to help them and they want you to do well. Being able to give clear well thought out answers despite your nervousness says a lot about you. Remember not to answer to quickly. Pause (not too long) and think about the question before answering.

• talesin
    talesin

Worked at a personnel agency for a couple of years,

Be prepared for the following questions, which they usually ask,

What do you consider your best quality and worst quality? (dumb question, but it tests your reaction to pressure)

Why do you want to work for this company? (someone mentioned research the company - YES!)

At the end of the interview, tell them "I am the best person for this job because .... "

Follow up with a phone call - they may say "we will be making a decision by Monday" - call Monday "I'm so-and-so, and checking to see if you have made a decision ..."

You don't want to sound needy, just really confident that you are the ONE.

All the best, you can do it! Be confident in yourself, think of all the training/experience you have in presenting yourself to strangers.

t

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

At the end, they usually ask if YOU have any questions for THEM. Have some good ones prepared (and NOT about salary/benefits - that will usually get you disqualified. Your questions should link back to what you can offer them, or how you can best fit into their team...questions about the company culture and hierarchy are great).

One I ask that most people don't think about is "In what area do you think your current team/department could use a little polishing?" I asked that at the interview for my current job and it stopped both of the hiring managers dead for a few seconds and they were like, "wow, nobody's ever asked that before. That's actually a REALLY good question!" It shows them that you're interested in knowing where their weaknesses are so that you can help improve upon them. I'm pretty convinced that asking that question was a big reason I got hired.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    One I ask that most people don't think about is "In what area do you think your current team/department could use a little polishing?" I asked that at the interview for my current job and it stopped both of the hiring managers dead for a few seconds and they were like, "wow, nobody's ever asked that before. That's actually a REALLY good question!" It shows them that you're interested in knowing where their weaknesses are so that you can help improve upon them. I'm pretty convinced that asking that question was a big reason I got hired

That is a good question!

• Think About It
    Think About It

Most places nowadays use behavioral based interview methods like the STAR method. Please look it up before you go. Good luck.

S ituation or

T ask

Describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past. Be sure to give enough detail for the interviewer to understand. This situation can be from a previous job, from a volunteer experience, or any relevant event.
    A ction you tookDescribe the action you took and be sure to keep the focus on you. Even if you are discussing a group project or effort, describe what you did -- not the efforts of the team. Don't tell what you might do, tell what you did.
    R esults you achievedWhat happened? How did the event end? What did you accomplish? What did you learn?

Think About It

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I also need some tips to ease off the nervousness.

Whisky usually does the trick.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Write a thank you for the interview to HR and one to every person who interviewed you. It should be regular mail, handwritten on note paper and good stationery. Crane's is good for American firms.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit