How many gods are there?

by jgnat 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

Godrulz, I don't interpret your views as being monotheim. You continue to speak of "false gods" as if their existence has any power at all. You imagine an entire pantheon of gods that must be resisted, rebuffed, and challenged.

I have a long history of engaging in intelligent discussions. But that demands two partners. I've frequently asked you to respond based on the quality of my questions and comments. This can be done intelligently, but it requires original thinking. You respond with epistles.

The sense I get is that you are bookish, having studied the isms and satisifed yourself that you have found the true truth. Confronted with an ism, you have a prepared response. I won't fit an ism, because I went down a more rigorous path of truth-seeking. Using the rules of logic, observation, and reason, I continuously challenge my base assumptions. If I find a weakness, I admit to it and modify my worldview. I test the new world view to see if it better stands up to scrutiny.

My faith has survived this testing, but not as "truth". Faith by it's nature operates without evidence.

• jgnat
    jgnat

ixthis, it has been interesting to receive your information on the Eastern Orthodox view. What is the Eastern Orthodox position on Satan. Is he seen as a minor god with some powers?

• ixthis
    ixthis

jgnat, thank you for your question ... can I answer this tomorrow on a new thread? It is late here and I will go to beD soon :)

• botchtowersociety
  • godrulz
    godrulz

Faith without facts/evidence is presumption. Faith is linked to knowledge, not no evidence. There is an element of faith that goes beyond evidence (so we can accept the trinity without exhaustively understanding it).

My view is monotheistic because I believe in one true God. One can call Allah a god, but he is non-existent, so just a false, so-called god, not a god in any true sense. If I was Mormon, you could call me polytheistic, because they teach plurality of gods, tritheism, etc. (Father, Son, Spirit/Ghost are 3 separate gods among many evolved gods, not one eternal spirit of God). Only YHWH is true God, eternal. Anything else is created or imaginary, people making a god out of it, but not recognized by God as god (see Isaiah where YHWH forms no gods before or after Him and recognizes no God since He alone is God). Finite godism/polytheism is an indefensible worldview, just as pantheism/panentheism are failed, false philosophies.

You can invent any kind of personal view/faith you want, but that does not make it objectively true or defensible. Biblical, historical, orthodox Christianity is based on revelation/evidence (resurrection of Christ; claims of Christ), not reason or presumption. Christianity is not an existential, Kierkegaardian blind leap of faith, but one based on reality/facts. Apologist Francis Schaeffer (now dead) would be worth a read since he decimates false worldviews in his defense of the Judeo-Christian view based on Scripture, God's objective revelation. Using your subjective ideas leads to a relativistic, syncretistic mess.

• designs
    designs

Evidence of a resurrected Christ? He hasn't been seen in twothousand years, evidence?

As for Schaeffer he should know there really isn't a Judeo/Christian view, you are either a Jew or a Christian, completely different religions and different gods.

• godrulz
    godrulz

The OT reveals truth from God through Judaism. The OT and NT God is YHWH. The NT (JW Christian Gk. Scriptures) gives fuller revelation of God in Christ and the Holy Spirit. The triune God is hinted at in the OT, but fully revealed in the NT (progressive revelation). Hebrews shows that the OT Judaism is the shadows/types with reality revealed in Christ. Now, Judaism and Christianity are distinct and Jews are wrong to reject Jesus as Messiah-God. In the OT, Judaism was the true faith. Islam is not Judeo-Christian. Judaism is the foundation for Christianity. Jesus was Jewish, yet introduced a new way, the Church, Body of Christ, Jew/Gentile one in Christ. Failing to recognize this connection displays profound ignorance of the Bible. The OT is the Word of God as much as the NT is. Paul, the former Jew, understands the connection, but you totally do not.

• designs
    designs

The Triune god is not hinted at, ask a Rabbi. Jesus was a practicing observant Jew who had a lot of junk put into his (mouth) account. As for Paul, one of the true fakes to ever come along, just read Romans and you know this was a guy inventing a straw man argument.

It, the NT, is so bad some of the great Rabbis actually tried to help the Christians get their facts straight. Maimonides and others tried to carefully explain that no Jew would ever call the Curse of Cain on themselves as the Gospels do in the Trial scene.

It takes a certain level of gullibility to swallow the NT as historical or factual.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    How Many?

I would fell much better if you would assure us that the above was posted as satire.

• jgnat
    jgnat

james_woods, I am quite willing to take the 144K as satire. I laughed out loud.

godrulz: Faith without facts/evidence is presumption

I'll quote presumptuous Paul, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen…" (Hebrews 11:1).

I won't bother with the rest of your blather. As they say in JW world, "Repetition for emphasis".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit