How many gods are there?

by jgnat 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• still thinking
    still thinking

jgnat I am not sure at this point....good question.

Psalm 82

6I said, ‘You are “gods”;

you are all sons of the Most High.’

7 But you will die like mere men;

you will fall like every other ruler.”

8 Rise up, O God, judge the earth,

for all the nations are your inheritance.

Is this literally saying you are gods? Or is it saying you belong to god. As in you are gods children because it goes on to talk about your inheritance.

John 10

34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are gods’ e ? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? 37 Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. 38 But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.” 39 Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.

Again...I read this as saying you are gods (as in belonging to god), because he then goes on to say he set apart his very own.

But then the bible goes on to add:

Psalm 82:1 A psalm of Asaph. God presides in the great assembly; he gives judgment among the "gods":

If he gives judgement among the "gods" there must be lesser gods.

As for the Gods worshipped by Israels neighbours. I think they are just referred to as Gods so that they knew who they talking about. This does not mean God recognises them as actual Gods.

2 Corinthians 4:4

Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don't understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

I think Satan is only refered to the god of this world because he is a false god, just as the ones referred to as Israels neighbours.

confused?......me too, kinda.....but not. ha

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Judges 11:23-24 . All these gods were thought to be real, including Yahweh.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Judges 11:23-24

23 “Now since the Lord, the God of Israel, has driven the Amorites out before his people Israel, what right have you to take it over? 24 Will you not take what your god Chemosh gives you? Likewise, whatever the Lord our God has given us, we will possess. 25 Are you better than Balak son of Zippor, king of Moab? Did he ever quarrel with Israel or fight with them? 26 For three hundred years Israel occupied Heshbon, Aroer, the surrounding settlements and all the towns along the Arnon. Why didn’t you retake them during that time? 27 I have not wronged you, but you are doing me wrong by waging war against me. Let the Lord, the Judge, c decide the dispute this day between the Israelites and the Ammonites.”

I don't see this as acknowleding that this other God is real. It is just showing them how ineffectual the god they believe in really is.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Satan is termed the God of this system of things.

It is possible that there could be other God's, equal to the Creator, each forming their own realities. We just happen to be part of this reality.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Here's an interesting article.........

edi

• still thinking
    still thinking

It is possible if you don't believe what the bible has to say

Deuteronomy 4:35 You were shown these things so that you might know that the LORD is God; besides him there is no other.

Deuteronomy 4:39 Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.

Isaiah 46:9 Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me.

Jeremiah 10:6 No one is like you, O LORD; you are great, and your name is mighty in power.

1 Corinthians 8:4 So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one.

Ephesians 4:6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

• still thinking
    still thinking

who on earth wrote that truthseeker?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Oops, I lost the post while editing.

• truthseeker
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

Nine

Share this

Google+