How many gods are there?

by jgnat 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Jehovah Unmasked has some interesting things to say about gods.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am charmed by all the contributions, so far.

Awww, sixy. I'm impressed you've poked your head in my thread.

I suspect Jesus was using this scripture tongue-in-cheek. He's saying if anyone can be god, why not him? Now back off.

At least that's how I read it.

Appreciate the contributions, stillthinking. The problem here is trying to treat the bible as a proof text, with one passage in harmony with the other. I pulled out my bible to read all of Psalm 82 in context. Here, I don't think it is a compliment or achievement to be called a god. The gods here are wicked and unjust. I am reminded again of very mortal Caesar, who played god to his holdings. I get the sense of the same meaning here, because the "gods" will die and fall like any prince, and God inherits their nations.

Aside from Donald Trump, I can't imagine any modern mortal gods. Oh, I lie. In my generation we've had Lenin, Gnassingbé Eyadéma , Castro, and Haile Selassie. There are other tyrants, I am sure, that I missed.

If there are more than one god with a supreme GOD over all, doesn't the throne room get a little crowded? One big seat and a whole lot of little seats besides. If this is the model, perhaps the Catholics are more correct.

I'll declare only one creator, and only one worthy of worship.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

What's the best way to format text from a pdf file, everytime I post text the formatting is corrupted?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

This is interesting.......

Our Creator is more female than male in attributes. The term "Father" means a title or form of address that pertains
    to headship. The secret to Father's female side is within the word of Christ. Father is a jealous God. Like a human
    female Father has the same quality though it reveals her anger. All things possessed by all of Her intelligent
    creations are attributes that have come directly from Father's own internal makeup. Please keep this in mind.
    Michael who was created by the hand of Father is personified in Her male attribute. Yet Father maintained Her
    female side by creating Her only begotten Son, Michael the Word. Father's wisdom is that of a woman's
    nature, for Father Herself is nature. All of the things you view in creation are from Father's storehouse of energy.
    Michael used the raw energy Father provided him with to create all else in existence. Within that raw energy are the
    attributes of nature, which is the attributes of Father's divine makeup. Even the animal kingdom has Father's
    attributes. Animals experience all sorts of emotions from jealousy, sadness to anger. They can also feel excitement
    and happiness. These things all come from the Mother of creation.

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

@Truthseeker: God is more female than male in that he stays in the kitchen to cook spiritual food for the worn-out masses. Lol.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I think it depends on what pantheon you are referring to. If we take them all into account, there are hundreds. Some overlap between the pantheons.

I do feel Christians are polytheistic even if they don't openly admit it. The son and the heavenly father are said to be gods in the Bible.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL There are billions of gods- one existing in the mind of every believer. If nobody believed in God, would he exist?

• flipper
    flipper

I feel there are many " gods " which humans CLAIM to be " gods " . But in actuality there are probably zero " gods " in actuality

• godrulz
    godrulz

There is ONE true God by nature (eternal, uncreated, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent). He is triune (compound unity), not solitary. He is not 3 gods, not 3 persons in 1 person, but one God (being, nature, substance, essence, ontology, metaphysics) with 3 personal distinctions (not mere modes/offices) that are co-eternal, co-equal, co-essential.

Any other gods are false gods or so-called gods, not God by nature/being (Gal. 4:8; I Cor. 8:4-6). Delegated evil judges (Ps./Jn.), Satan, idols, angels, etc. are not true God by nature. They are so-called gods in a limited or false sense.

Jesus is true God, Almighty God, the God-Man (one person with two natures).

Monotheism goes back to the Garden before the Fall. Polytheism is a lie of Satan and sprouted after monotheism. Israel was disciplined when she compromised with polytheism. Mormon/LDS is tritheism/polytheism as is the pantheon of Hindu gods.

The trinitarian view is strictly monotheistic since there is only one uncreated spirit of God, not 3 gods/spirits/beings.

• godrulz
    godrulz

Sikhs believe in one God, but Hinduism is henotheistic, 3 main gods among millions of gods. There is only one true God who is uncreated Creator. He alone is worthy of worship. Finite godism/polytheism is an illogical worldview. Any false god is a so-called god, not a true one by nature. It is not a modern construct, but divine revelation from the beginning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit