Was the 1812 declaration of war on the British empire wrong

by Star tiger 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My legal history course focused on the American Revolution. I learned and have since read elsewhere, that Americans were over the moon about being English. Benjamin Frnaklin was the royal postal inspector. Geo. WAshington and Franklin wrote letters declaring how wondrous George III was. There was a perceptual misunderstanding with Parliament. Americans believed they brought with them all Magna Carta rights. They were dedicated to the English constitution. London did not care about the colonies so our local general assemblies governed. All this was seen as good Britain.

The economic times changed. America became a source of revenue. London tried to assert power over the colonies after about 100 years of self-rule with nominal control in England. Americans were willing to die for their British constitutional rights. This shows most clearly by contrasting America, a colony, with Ireland, a colony. Ireland never had home rule. John Adams, a common lawyer, defended the British soliders indicted for the Boston Massacre and a Boston jury let them walk. Irish lawyers were hung with their clients. The Stamp Act was too much for an enlightened citizenry used to controlling its destiny.

The American revoluton was truly an oligarhy rebellion. Opinions towards Britain changed rapidly. Another factor, unlike Ireland, was that poverty was just about nonexisent in America. There was plenty of land.

Americans are taught very corrupted history in school. I don't why. The actual history is exciting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit