The treasure I just now found ...

by compound complex 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Quentin
    Quentin

Ah, your wearing the ring. Truly a loving commeration....

Do write the Old German's story, many old time Germans were harsh, stern with their children, especially if they came from the Old Country. Imagine how the son felt after reading the father's journal. My mind swirls with ideas. Coming from your pen the story would be marvelous.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

What a special moment, i have my grandmothers wedding ring and sometimes I wear it and I feel close to her when I do.

I once had an opportunity to read my mothers sister who died at 14's diary. To me she is a 14 yr old girl I never got to know she could have been my aunt and me the child but it was not to be.

• sizemik
    sizemik

A moment in time now carved in stone . . . great find C o C . . . and something you can always have so close . . . better reminder than a knot in your hankerchief!

I have a letter my Grandfather wrote to my Grandmother before they married. It was while he was 19 years old and pinned down in the trenches of Passchendaele, Belgium, in 1917. He wrote with such reassurance for the sake of his sweetheart, whereas in reality his friends were dying all around him, as I later learned. He was one of only two out of his gun crew of 12 that survived the battle. He was a very lovely man and my boyhood hero. It is such a treasure. They are wonderful things to have.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Compound Complex:

Your very touching story actually brought tears to my eyes (I'm not kidding). What a wonderful experience. I am sorry your parents aren't around to appreciate it.

Put the ring in a safe place.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Fantastic - warms my heart for you - probably one of life's highlights to find such a treasured object...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Quentin, Nancy, Seismic, LongHairGal and Meeting Junkie:

Your beautiful thoughts and personal experiences are likewise touching and much appreciated. I just may write about the old German (I've known a few).

Sincere thanks,

CoCo de la Bague

• talesin
    talesin

@ sizemik

A movie was made here in Canada a couple of yrs ago, called "Passchendale",,, the director/writer/star's (Paul Gross) grandfather had been in the battle as well, and it was a very personal project for him. If you can d/l torrents in your location, you may enjoy watching .. it's an historical fiction, and supposed to be beautifully well-done.

CoCo -- great thread :D

t

• compound complex
    compound complex

Talesin:

Thanks so much!

It was one of those spontaneous threads ...

CoCo

• sizemik
    sizemik

talesin . . . thanks for the heads up on that film . . . I'll be most interested to find it and view . . . just hope my heart can bear it.

When I was a small boy he used to let me hold his actual old Lee-Enfield rifle complete with bayonet. I also used to accompany him out to the rifle range and help patching the targets. He was a driver of steam trains for the rest of his working life. I recall as a boy we used to stand on the railway overbridge on a cold winters morning on the way to school . . . he would halt the train directly beneath us and let off a few hoots of steam to warm us up . . . All the time he was a beautifully gentle man . . . and stayed devoted to my Grandmother till the day he died . . . I loved him dearly

And yes . . . thanks for the thread CoCo . . . it's amazing what a single find can uncover.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit