by sleepy 118 Replies latest jw friends

• shalom
    shalom

Escaped - age 15
    Dunked - age 13
    Dragged up in it

• Flip
    Flip

As a JW infant I was dragged kicking and screaming to the Kingdom Hall. Just when I thought being a Jehovah’s Witness couldn’t get any worse, I overheard something about ‘going door to door’!

Fell hook, line and sinker for the gaff that Jehovah loved me so much he’d put a ‘cap’ in my butt if I didn’t do as He said.

At the age of 17 one of the ‘hip’ Elders ‘studied’ with me in preparation for my ‘request’ of Holy baptism. During those fifteen minutes, I think he did almost everything but ‘bitch slap’ me in the effort for me to come to my senses but I was so stupid and/or indoctrinated I failed to clue in to his subtlety.

However, I thought, like my peers before me, I should do the ‘disciple crawl’ in a blue plastic tub filled with un-chlorinated, luke-warm froth located at the local high-school basement cafeteria where the convention meals were served. I must say my baptism was a moving religious experience.

Finally realized I made a major error in judgment around the age of 23. Over time, looked for a way out and decided on community college. Moved to ‘where the money was greater’ never pursued association with Jehovah’s Witnesses intentionally, other than strained family relations, weddings and funerals.

To this day I have not been officially notified of disfellowshiping or ‘self-inflicted disassociation’ as Jehovah’s earthly corporation prefers to call it. Although, I privately renounced my subconscious allegiance to the WTBTS, after I ordered Crisis of Conscience and read the preface.

And, that’s the way…uh-huh uh-huh…I like it…uh-huh uh-huh.

Flip

PS I realized you wanted a simple answer to three simple questions…tough.

• sleepy
    sleepy

I've just done a basic analysis of the replys so far, to work out the ratio of converts to people raised as witness ( which includs those whos family converted when still a child)
    The figures I got were,
    converted :16
    raised :71
    (There were some replys that didn't mention whether converted or not)

This is around 7/9 raised in the truth.

If these figure are truly representative of witnesses as a hole doesn't this show that the preaching work is only effective in the sense that those converted will bring their families up as witness , who will then stay witness for the rest of there lives just as muslims or catholics do without questioning their religion.

This means that most witnesses were raised as such.
    Most people called on reject the teachings of Jehovahs witness. Out of its claimed 6,000,000 memmber ship I wonder how many are converted?
    Does this also show that much of the time spent in going from door to door is a complete waste?

• siegswife
    siegswife

1) Found out/left 29

2) Baptized 24

3) Converted

• JAVA
    JAVA

Sleepy,

Does this also show that much of the time spent in going from door to door is a complete waste?

This list may or may not be a good representative group of former JWs, but it does suggest some interesting theories and questions, as you've pointed out. From this sampling, most former JWs were raised in the religion, which begs the question you presented. Door-to-door converts are few compared to the hours spent looking for them. However, the Tower makes millions monthly from this required activity. As Deep Throat said in All the Presidents Men, "Follow the money."

• Sky
    Sky

1.Kicked out of the pool at 18, into the warm sunshine :)
    2. drowned into submission at 14
    . 5th generation dub on daddy's side, 3rd generation dub on Mommy dearest's side.
    Kisses!
    Sky

• Beans
    Beans

1-Left at 16
    2-Never took the plunge
    3-Born into the cult
    =100% Free and clear and loving the Pagan life!

Beans

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

1. 24
    2. 16
    3. Brought up in it

• astroj
    astroj

1.Age you left the watchtower.(Or Age you found out it was wrong)
    2.Age that you were baptised.
    3.were you brought up in it or converted?
    Baptised 14
    Tried to leave 15 (unsuccessful, family and pressure - wasn't strong enough at my age)
    Disfellowshipped 16
    Brought up in it from age 4.
    Presently 24 and enjoying real life!

• Martini
    Martini

Blindfolded (converted) at 17
    Cheerleaded into the pool at 18
    New lease on life in the year 1999 of our Lord.
    Sorry no more details still under cover

Martini

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit