Average age of apostates survey.

by sleepy 118 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

I think I see a trend here.People are mostly leaving in their twenties or thirties.

I'm going to try and work out some averages.

Of cource this could just show the age of people who leave and are on the internet which you would expect to be of 20,30 year age group.
    Or it could show that if you don't find out or leave when you are young it gets much harder as you get older.
    Can anyone help with analysing this info?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

1. 19
    2. 15
    3. 0

--
    "Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there. Theologians can persuade themselves of anything." -Robert A. Heinlein

• Jang
    Jang

There is no way I can put my ages as suncinctly as that:

Daughter died December 1967. Sister knocked on my door in Jan 1968
    Started studying a month later when I was 22 - Feb 1968
    Attended my first meeting and Circuit Assembly at 22 - 1968
    Began attending all meetings full time at 23 - Jan 1969 after son was born and while he was still in Hospital as a premmie
    Moved to Sydney when husband joined Air Force in May 1969 to get me away from them and I promised I would not seek them out --- I waited until they knocked on my door .. Interestingly we flew down to Sydney in the planes carrying many of the delegates to the International Assembley in Melbourne so I had lots of lovely people to talk to and who set a great example by helping me with my children

Jan 1970, Sweet Sister Pioneer knocked on my door and retured tp introduce Husband to wonderful Brother ex-Sergeant who convinced Husband that he would be welcome to sit in and listen to what was being taught to me and disagree or question whenever he felt the need.

Began meetings again in Feb 1970.
    Went into Field Service in June 1970 - age 25
    Finally baptised in 1971 age 26.
    Moved Congregations (Canberra) Jan 1972

Began having major doubts when had access to Library Info there
    By International Assembley in Sydney having a few problems but sublimated them seriously because Armageddon was coming

Beginnning of 1975 I learn about Beth Sarim and 1925 false prophecy and just wait to see what would happen this time ......

Husband leaves Air Force because of my entrenched fear about Armageddon and then refuses to be baptised. Elders counsel me to separate emotionally at least from him and help children to do so.

Went to DA in Late November 1975 in Canberra. Hear excuse why Armageddon has not come and remember what we have been studying that least few weeks about Eve's age ..... walked out and never went to another meeting.

Called into shop and purchased carton of cigarettes ..... Voted in National Elections a week later; gave my kids gifts on Christmas day (not christmas wrapped though), Had a great time at a New Years party and a champagne breakfast and then called the elders in and told them I was not coming back and if they wanted to they could get rid of me for smoking ..... cause I didn't want to see anyone again .....

So I was 22 when I began seriously studying and 30 when I walked out.

What a ride!!!

JanG
    CAIC Website: http://caic.org.au/
    Personal Webpage: http://uq.net.au/~zzjgroen/

• Englishman
    Englishman

Left at age 25, DF'd for talking to DF'd people at age 26.

Baptised at Orchard Beach, New York, age 12.

Parents converted to dubbism when I was 8.

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Left at 25
    Baptized at 14
    3rd Generation

As for what the figures would indicate, unfortunately it would reveal only statistics relevant for exJws who post at JW.com who decided to respond to your survey.

Path

• Perry
    Perry

Baptised - 23

Left - 31

4th Generation

Left to go to college and had concluded the JW environment was much to hostile for thinking people. Didn't leave in my heart for a couple years after that. Never Da'f of Df'd, though my family has no doubt about my position - I am shunned non-the-less by all

• Scully
    Scully

sleepy asked:

1.Age you left the watchtower.(Or Age you found out it was wrong)
    2.Age that you were baptised.
    3.were you brought up in it or converted?

1. First meeting, at age 6. Thought to myself "this is never going to happen". Wanted to quit when I was 15. Finally quit when I was 31.
    2. Baptized at 17.
    3. Parents began studying when I was 6. Basically raised in it.

Love, Scully

In the desert things find a way to survive. Secrets are like this too. They work their way up through the sands of deception so men can know them. - The X Files

• mindfield
    mindfield

1. Found out it was wrong at....14-15.
    2. Never got dunked, but got reeaaaaally close at 13. Elders thought I had to work on some personal issues first, and boy, I thank those elders regularly. "Got out" at 17.
    3. Brought up in troof.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

1. AWAKENED: 41
    2. 23
    3. CONVERTED

• Shimmer
    Shimmer

1. 34
    2. 20
    3. raised in/around since age 11. My mom started studying when I was 11 but didn't get dunked until I was 16. Dad never converted. So I wouldn't say I was raised in the most spiritual of households.

A sobering thought: what if, right at this very moment, I am living up to my full potential?------------Jane Wagner

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit