Are intelligent people less likely to believe in God?

by Snoozy 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

From my experience PSacramento It seems that poor uneducated people are far more spiritual than middle class more educated people. It's like when they get "smarter" "richer" they no longer depend on God for things..if they do go to church it is usually for a "Social" or "Business" connection type gathering. On the other hand maybe they just shy away from speaking about their spiritual beliefs because it is frowned on among the "upper class" and one of those things you don't discuss with people, like Politics .

To me a person can have no schooling and still be the most intelligent person on the earth..

Snoozy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    From my experience PSacramento It seems that poor uneducated people are far more spiritual than middle class more educated people. It's like when they get "smarter" "richer" they no longer depend on God for things..if they do go to church it is usually for a "Social" or "Business" connection type gathering. On the other hand maybe they just shy away from speaking about their spiritual beliefs because it is frowned on among the "upper class" and one of those things you don't discuss with people, like Politics .
    To me a person can have no schooling and still be the most intelligent person on the earth..
    Snoozy

I think that we need to realize that people believe for a mirad of reasons and when we have believers that are scientists, philosophers, geneticists, physicists, and more, it is quite incorrect to say that intelligent people tend to NOT believe in God, when we know that is NOT the case.

Many times it seems that some "inteligent" people don't believe in God because it isnot convenient for them to, at least that has been my personal experience with some "intelligent" people.

• leavingwt
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

Here's one conclusion that I've drawn:

Victims of spiritual abuse are less likely to believe in a personal deity.

Fool me once. . .

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I think as a person becomes more well read and learns more of the world, they may tend to be less superstitious and more reliant on evidence (rather than, say, assertion or supposition).

Also, what LWT and PSac said.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Intelligent people take things on faith with no evidence on a regualr basis, as long as someone with "authority" tells them those things are part of nature.

Such as?

I think that moment someone views themselves as "intelligent" they should stop and realize how ignorant they truly are.

Like people that KNOW there is a god? ;)

You are correct, people that RATE as higher on the intelligence scale tend to not view themselves as such and tend to ask questions. Pesky questions.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I think intelligence has very little to do with belief in God when that belief has been inculcated from infancy. However, as adults we eventually have to think about our beliefs for ourselves.

At that point intelligence and intellectual honesty are important. A child taught to believe by loving parents and respected priests/elders/rabbis etc has every excuse for ignorance. A reasoning adult doesn't.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I know at least two geniuses (tested and proven)..they are both arrogant and constantly like to tell others how smart they are..they have no patience for people less intelligent than they are..so much for not viewing themselves as such..one is very religious and the other thinks he is above God...

I do however know some that I think are very smart and they are extremely humble but are very sure when they state something that it is fact..

Snoozy

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

This is a conundrum. But basically if you can't communicate with someone, you can't very well deceive them. You can't deceive a blind person with a doctored up photo as "evidence."

But it is a catch-22. The not so smart are not as susceptible to propaganda. If you can't read you can't be deceived by something written down.

So on a spiritual level, the more intelligent are more of a Satanic target, because they can be more easily deceived. Things have to be "logical" to them, but you can fake logic.

Now the REALITY is that God is real and there is lots of evidence supporting that. But what you find is that the evidence that supports the Bible is ignored.

So one reason more "intelligent" or educated people tend to doubt is because they don't check facts out for themselves, seldom think for themselves, and just trust the "experts in the field" whom they don't realize are dishonest oftentimes. They respect people who have "higher education" more than trusting themselves. This makes them more prey to deception and high-level con games, because part of their educational process includes thinking that those with degrees and of higher education are also honest.

So it seems Satan's scheme is working; his focus on the intellectuals who get confused by all the rhetoric.

Now, by contrast, I'm intelligent. But I do my OWN research and conclusiosn rather than relying on the biased opinions of the "experts" in the field, which is what lazy intellectuals do. CASE IN POINT:

Okay. Lots of evidence is in place that confirms David and Solomon. For instance, a period worthy of Solomon's glory and great wealth is clearly established by archaeology. Only it is established in the early 9th century and not where Solomon is dated from 970-930 BCE. Now the expert in the field, like Israel Finkelstein looks at this and decides that David and Solomon must be myths since where the Bible dates them the archaeology is showing it is about a half century too early. Interestingly, this is exaggerated by Finkelstein to a full century. Other "intelligent people" who havent' had an original thought since the 3rd grade figure this looks good and thus the Bible is not true and they become non-believers. However, this is an issue of the timeline. Finkelstein should have criticized the current timeline and said that the evidence for David and Solomon were a half century later and so the timeline must be wrong. That was an academic choice, rather than presuming the timeline is fixed and correct and that, therefore, David and Solomon are myths and Omri should get credit for the massive buildings worthy of Solomon that show up in the early 9th century BCE.

Now I'm an intellectual and a believer. Why so? Because I did my research! I found out Xerxes fakes his own death and claimed to be his own son, Artaxerxes, and then added some 82 fake years to the Persian Period. No big deal, the egos of kings or their court officials trying to impress the king more than justify the lies and revisions. But where are the "intelligent people" who need to see these revisions? Suddenly they are "too busy" to figure it all out. Suddenly, they are "absent minded" when it comes to "conspiracy theories." So they actually CHOOSE to be stupid F*&ks when it is convenient.

In the meantime, if you correct the revisions of the Persian Period and correctly date the 1st of Cyrus to 455 BCE and the Exodus to 1386 BCE, then David and Solomon appear in their archaeologically correct time frames! Thus the Bible is confirmed.

So it turns out you have dummies, medium intelligent and super intelligent. The medium intelligent are the targets of deception. But the super intelligent still believe because they can see around the dishonesty.

So only the big glut of medium intellectuals tend not to believe. The super intelligent remain believers.

LS

• life is to short
    life is to short

Victims of spiritual abuse are less likely to believe in a personal deity.

leavingwt could not have said it any better.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit