Are intelligent people less likely to believe in God?

by Snoozy 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Professor Richard Lynn says so. In doing research he says :
    "The more intelligent people become the more decline you see in religious service." and
    "Religious beliefs has declined across 137 developed nations in the 20th century at the same time as people become more intelligent.

Is it because they do more research? Ask more questions?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2111174/Intelligent-people-less-likely-to-believe-in-God.html

• snowbird
    snowbird

Could some be caving in to peer pressure?

"Surely you don't believe that???"

Syl

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that moment someone views themselves as "intelligent" they should stop and realize how ignorant they truly are.

That said, I believe that LOGICAL people need more evidence to believe in God than people that tend to take things on faith more.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The answer, based on statistics, is yes.

The more important question is, "Why?"

My guess is that because intelligent people are more likely to demand evidence for the things they choose to believe. Since religion is a matter of faith and evidence of the supernatural theistic deity doesn't exist (if there was evidence, it would lose the "super" part and just be "natural"), people who demand evidence for their beliefs are less likely to be believers.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I didn't see your post yet, when I posted, PSac. I think the semantic argument about what intelligent means could lead this thread off track. I don't think it is productive to even go there.

On the other hand, you make a good point. If you think you're so smart, you probably aren't. And if you think you aren't, you're probably smarter than you think.

http://people.psych.cornell.edu/~dunning/publications/pdf/unskilledandunaware.pdf

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

One wonders how many "intelligent" people realize that the view of something being supernatural is simple a subjective view of what we THING we know about nature.

And if in realizing that, if the option of "god" would be one to consider?

Intelligent people take things on faith with no evidence on a regualr basis, as long as someone with "authority" tells them those things are part of nature.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I think it could be based on various factors:

Greater intelligence will generally mean that a person will have better opportunities in life (assuming that the intelligence is at least partially the product of a better education). These opportunities will broaden a person's world-view and may also make them less inclined to depend upon a Higher Power and trust more in their own ability to create and sustain success.

A well-educated person generally may be more inclined to look at things from a more science-based perspective.

• talesin
    talesin

It always seemed to me that logic would dictate non-belief in God,

but what about Einstein? Richard DAwkins? et al

It is said that "there are no atheists in foxholes" ...

Maybe it has less to do with intelligence, and more to do with the fact that some folks feel more comforted with an 'explanation for why we are here'.

tal

*spiritual atheist* klass

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Mad.

I see your point but you know how these threads are, to say that intelligent people don't believe in God is to insinuate the unitelligent people do.

It's a train wreck from the start and an insulting one.

• the prisoner No 6
    the prisoner No 6

Considering JW,s are, or at least considered by many, to be an American religion, I had better choose my words carefully. My answer would have to be an unequivical NO, anyone can be duped, irrespective of Race, Gender, Sexual orientation, Creed or class or Income. PRINCE is a prime example highly intelligent, gifted, Mega Rich. A few of my JW friends, you could possibly describe them as intelligent, have created million $ buisineses, They like being able to turn up at DA,s in a Porshe, with personalised number plates.

I have met a few university graduates, all women, who were in DEE TWOOF, but detested the lack of status females had within the Org, who had to sit with gritted teeth while a window cleaner (destroyed) a talk, when if we had been in a meritocracy, the guy in the cheap suit should have been cleaning the toilets, while the Lowly Sister(with the degree) should have been teaching, benifitting all, SIGH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit