Why don't Christians believe in the book of Jashar?

by avatar 17 Replies latest jw friends

The Bible refers to the book of Jashar at Joshua 10:13. This is when the sun stood still and the moon stopped.

It is also referred to in the 2nd book of Samuel 1:18 where it says: "Behold it is written in the Book of Jasher."

Why did they leave it out of the bible yet quote from it as an authority?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

very interesting.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's not that they don't "believe in" it or "leave it out." It's that there is not a surviving copy from the time of the writings. There are clearly "apochrypal" books written later.

• NeonMadman
  • NeonMadman
  • strymeckirules
    strymeckirules

the book still exists and you can find it on pdf. form on the internet.

www.sacred-texts.com

amazing amount of detail in the book about subjects that are familiar to us all.

and it doesn't have too much to say about the sun standing still. it mentions it but the account in the bible is more detailed.

there is a great bit about the Tower of Babel in the book.

too many things to remember to tell you. read it for yourself and judge if it is an inspired book.

i think it is.

• strymeckirules
    strymeckirules

oh ya, they left it out of the bible cause it is too detailed. hard to call it a fable when you have so many little details.

all the books left out of the bible have too much information in them for the masses. to keep the people controlled, control what they know.

besides, most people don't even know the bible.

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

The copy I have was first published in 1840 - believe it was promoted by some early day Mormons. There is considerable controversy about its authenticity - but its dates work well for the serious Bible Chronology Student. Reading it wll explain why it wasn't included in the Scripture Cannon (assuming it was even around back then for consideration) - the narrative borders on sensationalism. Nevertheless it is very interesting and fills in tons of details about Abraham, Isaac, Jacob etc. we do not find in the Bible. One area that tipped me off is what it propounds Job said - had him agreeing with the Pharaoh that the best way to handle Israelites was the killing of the young baby male offspring - somehow I have great difficulty accepting that would be an accurate representation of Job's character, myself so it does not have the "ring of truth" in that particular piece of history. I did not find the Bow - poem by David that was supposed to be there so perhaps the 1840 edition isn't the genuine article. There is a whale of a lot of research available on the web - just using your search bar if you have the patience to week thru it - I didn't!

• NeonMadman
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am pressed for time. There is wikipedia, I suppose. What this book purport to do? Who is the author?

The Israelites had to have nonBiblical sources from the Canaanite culture which they emerged. I saw all those fertility goddess, depicted as Jehovah's wives on PBS. One picture is worth a thousand words. Polytheism is always breaking out in the Bible. It is reported so frequently that I wonder if polytheism wasn't the norm and then a Jehovah cult emerged much later than Bible chronology would dictate.

If this is just a Mormon book.............They make the Witnesses look so respectable. Yet if you don't know the teachings, live on the East Coast, they seem as solid as any Protestant sect. I should not talk since my knowledge is from Big Love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit