Why don't Christians believe in the book of Jashar?

by avatar 17 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

I love the Book of Jasher.

It really cleared up a lot of puzzling (to me) things that were written in Genesis.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/jasher/index.htm

Syl

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Wikipedia says there are no copies of any lost books of the Old Testament in existence. It whets the curiosity. There is a pseudo-book which is fake or perahps a less loaded word than fake.

I did not know there were lost books. Wikipedia has a link to the all missing books. Maybe some future excavation will find them and everything we know will be upset.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I was amazed the first time I realised a book that was not in the bible was quoted. It was before I had discovered this site and I hadn't been to a meeting for a couple of months so started reading the bible on my own.

I looked it up in the WT CD ROM and it is cited as spurious. Fine, but why would god quote from a spurious book. All scripture is inspired etc etc. This was the first time I questioned who wrote the bible and came to the conclusion that either the book is not spurious so should be included. If it is spurious it shouldn't be quoted.

I could not find any acceptable conclusion other than god didn't write the bible.

• nugget
    nugget

the question is not so much why this book was left out but why any of the others were included.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

why do only ethiopian orthodox chrisitans believe in the book of enoch, when jude clearly refers to it? why did john copy most of jude's letter into his own third letter? where's the "book of the wars of jehovah"? why did protestants and JWs subsequently accept most of the catholic canon but reject a few books like tobit and maccabees?

the real questions are: why on earth did i waste so much time on that boring collection of books? and why can't i get all that stuff out of my head, even though i could use the space for more important things?

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

Amelia Ashton: I agree 100%

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

the question is not so much why this book was left out but why any of the others were included.

I just finished reading "Misquoting Jesus".

A rather enlightening read.

• PSacramento

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit