Is Armageddon a REAL EVENT to the GB like 9/11 is to the rest of us?

by Terry 37 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Awesome thread, Terry. I'm going to save the OP as a text document for future reference.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

This is how the Watchtower GB sees itself. In effect they must live a life of bunkered mentality as virtual prisoners in Bethel with an ongoing

countdown to DOOMSDAY (Armageddon). Regularly they must enter the series of numbers (write articles proclaiming the imminent event) warning

of sudden DOOM only to have the reset happen again and again without end.

Good point Terry

• Judicial Committee
  • Judicial Committee
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Hit your "compatability" button, Judicial Committee, if you're in IE9.

• Terry
    Terry

Hit your "compatability" button, Judicial Committee, if you're in IE9.

The button will reset and the 108 minute countdown will begin again!!

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The button will reset and the 108 minute countdown will begin again!!

LOST is my all time favorite show. Watched it week to week from seasons 2-end.

-Sab

• glenster
    glenster

"Is Armageddon a REAL EVENT to the GB like 9/11 is to the rest of us?"

They woudn't be handling research material the way they do in making their
    claims of exclusiveness, knowing some have died from them in hospitals or due to
    intolerant gov't leaders, if they had any kind of concerns about being right by
    God or thought any kind of negative afterlife was possible.
    http://glenster1.webs.com/gtjbrooklynindex.htm

• Violia
    Violia

I have been told some do not believe it to be a real live event. It may be a more symbolic event , like the age of Aquarius. Anyway, the way it was explained to me was " paradise is a hope -that is it. Just like worldly folks believe they will go to heaven, jws believe they will be resurrected in paradise ". So if Armageddon happens it may be a symbolic event and we are free to choose our hope, heaven or earthy paradise. I was told this in private by more than one elder but it is not the official party line.

• Terra Incognita
    Terra Incognita

Before answering the question, there is a huge psychological difference between an actual event in the past that you personally experienced; an event in the past that you observed from a distance and did not impact you personally; and an event in the future that, regardless of the sincerity of the believer, is nonetheless psychologically distant.

Do women fear rape? Of course. But do they take the precautions against it that they would if another woman in the vicinity (work or neighborhood) got raped. No they do not until such an event happens and "personalizes" the previously hypothetical threat.

Even such a scenario pales into insignificance if she gets raped herself. That is when precautions are maximized.

This analogy applies to any scenario that would affect individuals, social or non-human (Natural disasters, for example).

"Armageddon" or the "Great Tribulation", even if they were considered viable threats would still seem distant and nowhere as threatening compared to an immediate or current threat to their safety.

"Armageddon" or the "Great Tribulation", even if they were considered viable threats, would still seem distant and nowhere as threatening compared to an immediate or current threat to their safety.

Of course, what I just explained above is moot as far as the Governing Body is concerned. Even if they actually had sincere beliefs, which I doubt, they would be so burned out on their own hoopla that they're not going to take any of the measures indicated by Terry. To the extent that they may have been sincere they have, nonetheless, been crying wolf to themselves; as well as the rest of the sheep.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit