Dumb illustration

by MrFreeze 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast

My grandmother keeps trying to get me to come back to the meetings. I tried using the whole "I really don't like the gossip in the cong." thing. The conversation went like this:

"If you hate your boss and get fired, you don't come home and divorce your wife."

"WHAT?!! What the hell does that have to do with gossip in the congregation?"

"Well, you don't dismiss your God and his loving arrangement because you don't like the others that attend."

"I would divorce my wife if she was running back to my boss and slandering me to the point that I was fired. She obviously isn't a good mate."

"Well, you don't divorce God."

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@Iconoclast

I'm sorry you have to put up with such illogical nonsense!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Great comments everyone.

@snowboarder - Seems like they are always changing stories around to suit their agenda. Spiritual warfare at its finest!

@WontLeave - Thats a spot on example of the GB mind games.

@sab - You know if God built his house with sturdy bricks, there would be no reason to ever repaint.

@unshackled - That illustration always bugged me too. Couldn't Jehovah give his people the holy spirit so they could comprehend and be able to accept truths? Maybe if he gave them the truth from the very beginning, they wouldn't need constant adjustments.

@sizemik - The WT has painted their house with a nice coat of crap, so it always looks and smells like an eyesore.

@finallyfree - To JW's you are worse than any drug dealer because they are taught to hate you above all. If not for those pesky laws against murder, you would have been executed!

@punkofnice - There are smart JW's out there. Unfortunately, most of them have been twisted to not show a single shred of their intelligence. With the new restrictions the elders manual is putting on college it should make the rank and file dumb down even more.

@Iconoclast - Reminds me of that dumb illustration about allowing yourself to be stumbled by someone and to quit going to the meetings. If you are walking on a sidewalk and you trip on a crack in the sidewalk, would you just refuse to get back up and keep walking? So absolutely mind-numbing.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I tried explaining the idiocy behind the "light gets brighter" BS to my mom. It went a little something like this:

Me: Ma, let's say for the sake of argument that this is true. You walk into a pitch black room that has a dimmer switch on the wall. Slowly, you raise the switch until just a glimmer of light appears. It's still very dark. Now, you know that across the room, there's a big stuffed elephant... As your eyes adjust, you start to see it, but it's just a shadow. However, you know from being in this room with the light on, that it IS IN FACT an elephant. As the light gets brighter, you see the outline of it. Brighter, and you see the trunk, then the eyes, the feet, etc. Now, as that light is illuminating the room more and more, would that elephant still be an elephant? Or would it turn into a stuffed teddy bear?

Mom: Of course it would still be an elephant!

Me: So, the brighter light wouldn't change the object, but it would enhance your perception of it, correct?

Mom: Well, yeah...

Me: So how is it that when the supposed "New Light" comes out, the doctrine we once believed is completely different? Like with blood, with the woman having to scream when she was raped (then not scream, then scream, etc), and the generation teaching? How is it that things are going from being elephants to being teddy bears?

Mom: *cricket chirps and a confused look* I don't wanna talk about this anymore... The changes are made because Jehovah sees it's time to give us more light and knowledge... And maybe they were wrong in the past, but they're imperfect men...

Me: Mom, does Holy Spirit direct the organization?

Mom: Of course it does, you KNOW this...

Me: Mom, do you believe the bible is God's word and every word of it is the truth?

Mom: Yeah...

Me: Well, who wrote the bible?

Mom: Jehovah did through Holy Spirit, using 40 men.

Me: *stifling an eye roll* Okay, but were those men perfect?

Mom: No they were imperfect men...

Me: Yet, you don't think anything they wrote was wrong and needs to be changed, right? They were imperfect men who were writing under the direction of the Holy Spirit, and what they wrote was truth, right?

Mom: Yes!

Me: Then how is it that the Society, being a group of imperfect men operating under Holy Spirit, have gotten it wrong so many times and need to keep making changes? How is it that they are going back and forth with beliefs? Either they are NOT working with Holy Spirit, or Jehovah isn't sure of what he's doing...which is it?

Mom: I said I don't wanna talk about this anymore...

Yeah...that's usually how it goes. Or she'll give me an asinine illustration to prove her point...one I've heard a million times...some days she treats me like I'm a "newly interested one" and don't know Jack shit about the bible or the litteratrash. Instead of using her brain to refute what I tell her or answer what I ask her, she reaches for a Watchtower publication. Like she tried telling me I don't have what's needed to understand Revelation...I asked who she was to say that...she took out the book and said "Let me find it..." and took about 15 minutes to find a little box that said there are 3 things a person needs in order to understand Revelation (accepting the FDS as an authority on the matter was one of them). Then she tried pulling out a box from a Watchtower about "spiritual fatigue" and at that point I'd had it and said "NO MORE! No more literature! I CAN'T LOOK AT THAT ANYMORE!"

A lot of their illustrations are just plain ridiculous. The cake pan, the watch having a maker, etc. I don't even recall most of them, and a LOT of them are taken from other "apostate" religions! They don't have ANY original ideas. Just mediocre copies of other men's thoughts.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@Morbidzbaby = Mom: I said I don't wanna talk about this anymore...

If I had a £1 for each time I've heard this, I'd be rich beyond the dreams of the GB.

No disrespect for your Mom but she's conditioned to turn off once her mind control is breeched.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

@ punk: Her mind has been turned off for over 34 years, hun... I no longer expect a different outcome, therefore, I no longer discuss religion with her.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@Morbidzbaby

Your Mum, the way she reasons, could be Mrs Punk!

................are we related?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Yeah, people who churn out dumb illustrations like that are usually not in the right from of mind to be reasoned with. If they think points like that are valid, how could you possibly reason with logic?

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

@punk: LMAO, you never know! I've already met people on here I'm related to!

@ MrFreeze: That's so true. Logic really has no place with people like that because they think their delusions ARE logical...

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Disfellowshipping is like a time out for a naughty child chumley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit