Just Riffing - Join In If You Like

by zoiks 16 Replies latest social humour

• zoiks
    zoiks

Ever get those crazy and funny lines of reasoning going while daydreaming, the ones that seem full of promise but just won't flesh out into something spectacular? Those ones that would be worthy of a great thread at JWN, if only they were fully cooked?

I have those.

Sadly, I am so busy most of the time that I never get to follow my little thought experiments. Instead of despairing, I thought I would riff on a couple of them a bit here, just to start something.

Hey, it can't be any worse than yet another Christian vs. hell-bound atheist thread, right?

Riff 1.

Using WTS literature to prove that the WTS does not have the truth is easy. Or is it? I think that maybe it would just create an infinite feedback loop from which there is no escape: Their literature says x, and they have practiced y, therefore they are z. But wait, since they are z, their literature which says x cannot be used against them, since it is z! And if we can't use z literature which says x against them, then perhaps they have the truth! But they also practice y, which is clearly contradicted by x, so they must be z! And so on. So tell me, can the literature of an untrustworthy source be used to argue against said source, since the literature itself is a faulty witness? Just askin'.

Riff 2.

Jesus. An example of super-evolution gone awry. How so? After the global flood, which I have been assured was totally real, all animals must out of necessity have undergone super-evolution to reach the variety and number of species that is seen today. Also, God decided that he really likes sacrifice. Animal sacrifice for a while, till...human sacrifice can replace it. I guess humans weren't quite ready to be sacrificed yet, so God put into play some super-cool super-evolution within one lineage of humanity, all to presumably create a race of sacrificial humans.

Follow me? No? Fine, but I'm still going, my confused-looking friends. This lineage took a couple thousand years to finally produce offspring deemed worthy of sacrifice. Super-evolution! Bam! But the plan worked too well. This perfectly sacrifice-able offspring was so perfect for the job that he actually wanted to be sacrificed for humanity (sacrificial victims should go kicking and screaming)...and went ahead with it before passing on his genetic material!

Facepalm moment! **cue sad trumpet sound - waa waaa waaaaahhhhh**

To save everyone a lot of trouble, God decided that this one sacrifice would have to do. Yaaay, no more blood in the name of religion! Oh, wait...

/offensive post.

• watersprout
    watersprout

Ehh???

You lost me on ''spectacular''. Sorry i have an ''Awake degree''... Lol

Peace

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    So tell me, can the literature of an untrustworthy source be used to argue against said source, since the literature itself is a faulty witness?

Yes.

When Harold Camping publishes that the End of the World will happen on May 21st, and yet it doesn't, we can legitimately use his illegitimate literature to demonstrate his foolishness.

• zoiks
    zoiks

**sad trumpet noise - waa waaa waaaaa**

Directed at WS, not LWT.

I know, I know. It's just a riff.

• watersprout
    watersprout
    **sad trumpet noise - waa waaa waaaaa**

Thats it! *Strops off, trips over and smashes face into carpet* Waaaaa..... I get picked on by the Christians and now the athiests! Life is just not fair! Nobody loves me..................................................

P.S. I have got ice cream and i'm not sharing. So there!

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast

leavingwt - Apparently it's not that easy. The local news channel here interviewed one of these whack jobs and he said that if he's still here come May 22nd and he hasn't been raptured, apparently he's not good enough to make it to heaven and will have to live out his life here with no hope.

Peachy, no?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

What better source is there to quote?

From the May 22, 1969 Awake magazine.

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the “last days” in 1914, Jesus foretold: “This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.”—Matt. 24:34.

• watersprout
    watersprout
    if he's still here come May 22nd and he hasn't been raptured, apparently he's not good enough to make it to heaven and will have to live out his life here with no hope.

Hmmm thats convienant isn't it! Very WT like.

Peace

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Apparently it's not that easy.

Yes, I understand the nothing will persuade the True Believer. However, it's perfectly reasonable to use the group's literature when criticizing them. The literature illustrates their illegitimacy.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Yes, but LWT...they were either outright lying or didn't know what they were talking about...either way, it is inadmissable as evidence!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit