most depressing song ever

by will_the_apostate 184 Replies latest jw friends

• unshackled
    unshackled

Unshackled it's funny Chris Penn in that video....Brother to Sean Penn...Most remember his later work ..... Reservoir Dogs..
    Charlie...took me a bit to find him watching that video (w/ sound off!). Hard to recognize him in his younger days. He was in True Romance too.

Forgot he died a few years ago.
  • FlyingHighNow
  • FlyingHighNow
  • aquagirl
    aquagirl

There is an old song by The Stones,"Time Waits for No One".It slays me.Sometimes,I cant even listen to it."Hurt",either Reznor or Cash,same thing.sigh

• FlyingHighNow
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Of course Bobby wrote this and performed it decades before Reba, who did an excellent cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ZCrMESar8&feature=related

• mrquik
    mrquik

Good choices all. For those of you too young to remember try Peggy Lee's " Is That All There Is?" If that's all there is my friends then let's keepdancing. Let's break out the booze and have a ball. If that's all there is.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Bob Dylan has a slew of songs/stories about the country or South that would easily qualify. Most of them are ballads. Blowing' in the Wind surpised me a lot being in this category. For me, it was the companion to We Shall Overcome, the anthens of the civil rights movement. On its face, it is a bummer. It was sung defiantly, however, so I always viewed it as a very affirming song. I suppose many of his songs fit that genre. VEry sad on their face but also strong political statements.

Masters of War is one. I have a volume of his lyrics. Most of his sad songs are from his early years. He says it just doesn't flow out of him anymore. Chronicles is a great read. He talks about people not showing up for his concerts and yet selling out not for his music but his status as folk czar, generational spokesperson. Having attended Bangladesh where he took the concert from George Harrison to later concerts where we should have gotten refunds, he should attend his own concerts. I will never, ever forget Bangladesh. A few months later he did a commercial tour. He was abysmal.

A Dylan thread would be cool.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Sad thing is, the schools in Detroit didn't integrate until the 60's. Housing in Chicago didn't integrate until the 50's. The theaters in GR Michigan didn't integrate until 1927 or 8. Prejudice and racism didn't know there was a Mason-Dixon line.

• Violia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit