JWs who do a "disappearing act" because of damaging gossip and trouble in the hall

by LongHairGal 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Satire? Damn it lol...just when I'm in the mood to rant !

Loz x

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

LOL

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

LMAO that was funny... hey, NRFG and SD-7 should team up and put out a Washtowel Weekly or something... Just for us 'poztates. That would be hilarious! But you have to pepper it with lots of "happifyings"...

• snakeface
    snakeface

And for those of you who are still in the organization, I will tell you, anything said behind closed doors to a committee of elders, or a judicial committee, is then leaked to the whole congregation. The elders joke about it in car groups with the MS, they tell their wives and family members. They even make fun of the situations and people involved as if it's some kind of joke.

I knew of a teenage son of an elder who knew everything that went on in the elders' meetings - which person got counseled for what, how they responded, and so on.

I knew of a mother of an elder who also knew everything and she made sure to spread it around.

The elders also make comments (within the elder/MS body) about sisters' boobs and other things.

• Maze
    Maze

At the heart of its activities, Jehovah's Organization works against harmful gossip and slander. In fact, slander is a disfellowshipping offense.

it-1 pp. 989-990 Gossip, Slander

Gossip is idle personal talk; groundless rumor. Slander is defamation, generally malicious, whether oral or written.

Not all gossip is bad or damaging, though it can be. At times it may be commendatory about a person or persons; or it may be the mere relating of something trifling or unobjectionable about others, out of human interest. But it is easy to slip into hurtful or troublemaking talk, for gossip is idle talk. The Scriptures counsel against idle speech, pointing out that the tongue is difficult to tame and that it “is constituted a world of unrighteousness among our members, for it spots up all the body and sets the wheel of natural life aflame.” Its destructiveness is further emphasized in that the Bible writer continues, “and it is set aflame by Gehenna.” (Jas 3:6) The danger of loose, idle talk is emphasized many times. Such speech is connected with stupidity or foolishness (Pr 15:2); it is a snare and can bring the speaker to ruin. (Pr 13:3; 18:7) “In the abundance of words there does not fail to be transgression,” says the proverb, counseling that keeping one’s lips in check is discreet action. (Pr 10:19) “He that is keeping his mouth and his tongue is keeping his soul from distresses” is a warning against thoughtless, loose, or idle talk.—Pr 21:23.

“Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks,” said Jesus Christ. (Mt 12:34) Consequently, what one usually talks about is an index of that on which his heart is set. The Scriptures urge us to safeguard the heart and to think on and speak of the things that are true, serious, righteous, chaste, lovable, well spoken of, virtuous, and praiseworthy. (Pr 4:23; Php 4:8) Jesus Christ said, “It is what proceeds out of his mouth that defiles a man,” and he went on to name “wicked reasonings” and “false testimonies” among the things that proceed from the mouth but actually are out of the heart.—Mt 15:11, 19.

This information is put into practice by millions of Jehovah's Witnesses. Harmful gossip and slander is not a feature of my congregation. My condolences to those that were exposed to a few bad apples.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Maze,

For sure, as on so many other matters, what the WTS says about gossip is 100% correct:

- unfortunately, more often than not the JWs fail to practice what they preach.

What you term as "a few bad apples" in fact, over all, constitute the rule not the exception.

My obsevations from all the many congregations that I was with over a 28 year period.

Bill.

• shepherd
    shepherd

"This information is put into practice by millions of Jehovah's Witnesses. Harmful gossip and slander is not a feature of my congregation. My condolences to those that were exposed to a few bad apples."

I used to believe this, that problems were local and that in other congregations things were fine, and that any time I heard negative things, it had to be caused by just a few imperfect ones, but in general everything was rosy.

It is not true.

The issues discussed here are universal, affecting every congregation. And that goes for the one this poster belongs to. If they have not heard the gossip and troubles it is only because they have been left out of the loop at this time, or are themselves the subject of the gossip :)

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Hi Maze,

At the heart of its activities, Jehovah's Organization works against harmful gossip and slander. In fact, slander is a disfellowshipping offense

Well if it "works" against them, it doesn't seem very successful, eh? Or does it have a "wicked heart" too?

This sounds like a variant of "don't let a few imperfect people divert you from the "Truth". The wt makes great claims of having the "truth" and being known for "having love among them".

The trouble with big claims is that people can test their validity and call bs on them.

• snowbird
    snowbird

It's the same in every congregation.

They just better not mess with my little daughter.

I will turn it out; I will kick butts and take names!

Syl

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NoRoomForGeorge:

I don't know if you are for real or if you are joking with us. As far as that excuse of imperfection goes, it just doesn't fly. When imperfection in any one thing is all pervasive, there are no redeeming qualities and you would have to flee. Back in the day before I found out the dirt on the religion, I wrestled with the problem of "imperfection" in the congregation. Your "wait on Jehovah" doesn't cut it either. I personally feel this scripture pertains to the "big world picture" and not the day to day stuff.

I had no intention of being exploited by users or having to humor difficult or delusional personalities, or be manipulated by emotional blackmail. I wasn't there to be put through a wringer or walk a gauntlet OR make other people feel good at my expense. I also made the observation that single women are mostly the target of this type of mistreatment, although others can be as well. I also feel that jealousy is sometimes at the heart of why some people "expect" certain other JWs to put up with their bad behavior. When I saw that this was the handwriting on the wall, I came to the conclusion that in order to make a "go" of it, I would have to come and go by myself, have very limited assocation and work either by myself or with one friend.

Of course, this was all rendered a moot point when I found out the hidden history and scandals in the year 2000. Then I realized that I could no longer in good conscience continue.

If you want to cling to this religion and defend it, go right ahead.

Maze:

While I am glad for you that gossip wasn't a feature in your congregation, I have to agree with Bungi Bill. Sadly, gossip is the favorite passtime of JWs all over and is all-pervasive. In all my 20+ years in the religion, I can personally attest to this. I think the reason might be because they are told not to idolize celebrities. So, what do they do? They fixate on and talk about other JWs. In fact, I do believe they feel their preaching work is a whitewash, no matter how much they deny it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit