Most recent Society lies about 1914?

by Essan 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Essan
    Essan

Hi there.

As I'm sure we all know, the Society has lied repeatedly in the past about what they preached regarding 1914 in the run up to that year, claiming that what was preached was that Jesus was to become king in that year and his Presence was to begin then etc, when in fact they were preaching that all this had already happened in 1874 and that the end of the world would come in 1914.

But does anyone know if they have repeated this lie about what they supposedly preached recently? And if so, when?

When was the last time they claimed this? Does anyone know?

I'm wondering if it's still a current claim, or a lie they have quietly decided to drop in recent times - without bothering to admit, apologize for it or correct it, of course.

Thanks.

Essan.

• fade_away
    fade_away

I've been out for 8 months, so I really can't give you the latest. However, I have a 2009 WT CD Rom and here's a copy/pasted quote from the Watchtower December 2009 issue:

"Completing His Role as the Messiah

16 Throughout the centuries since his resurrection, Jesus has faithfully supervised the activities of the Christian congregation over which he has been ruling as King. (Col. 1:13) At the appointed time, he would start wielding his power as King of God’s Kingdom. Bible prophecies and world events confirm that his presence as King began in 1914, as did “the conclusion of the system of things.” (Matt. 24:3; Rev. 11:15) Shortly thereafter, he led the holy angels in casting Satan and his demons from heaven.—Rev. 12:7-10.

17 The preaching and teaching work that Jesus began in 29 C.E. is nearing its grand climax. Soon he will judge all the living. He will then tell sheeplike ones who accept him as Jehovah’s means of salvation to “inherit the kingdom prepared for [them] from the founding of the world.” (Matt. 25:31-34, 41) Those who reject Jesus as King will suffer destruction when he leads the heavenly armies against all wickedness. Then Jesus will bind Satan and cast him and his demons into “the abyss.”—Rev. 19:11-14; 20:1-3.

18 During his Thousand Year Reign, Jesus will fully live up to all his titles, such as “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.” (Isa. 9:6, 7) His Kingdom rule will lift humans to perfection, including those resurrected from the dead. (John 5:26-29) The Messiah will guide willing humans to “fountains of waters of life,” enabling obedient mankind to enjoy a peaceful relationship with Jehovah. (Read Revelation 7:16, 17.) After the final test, all rebels, including Satan and his demons, will be “hurled into the lake of fire,” the crushing death blow to the head of the “serpent.”—Rev. 20:10.

19 How wonderfully and flawlessly Jesus fulfills his role as the Messiah! A paradise earth will be filled with redeemed humans, who will live forever in perfect health and happiness. Jehovah’s sacred name will have been cleared of all reproach, and the rightfulness of his universal sovereignty fully vindicated. What a grand heritage lies just ahead for all who obey God’s Anointed One!

Have You Found the Messiah?

20 Since 1914 we have been living in the period of Christ’s pa?rou?si′a, or presence. Although his presence as King of God’s Kingdom is invisible, it is obvious from the fulfillment of prophecies. (Rev. 6:2-8) Nevertheless, just like the first-century Jews, most people today ignore the evidence of the Messiah’s presence. They too want a political messiah or at least one who will work through human political rulers. You, though, came to know that Jesus is now reigning as King of God’s Kingdom. Were you not thrilled to find that out? Just like the first-century disciples, you were moved to proclaim: “We have found the Messiah.”

21 Today, when you talk about the truth, do you highlight Jesus’ role as the Messiah? Doing so will enhance your appreciation for what he has done for you, what he is doing now, and what he will yet accomplish. Like Andrew and Philip, you no doubt have talked to your relatives and friends about the Messiah. Why not approach them with renewed zeal and show them that Jesus Christ is indeed the promised Messiah, God’s means of salvation?"

I'm afraid so. It looks like they're still teaching this.

• wasblind
    wasblind

OMG!!!!!! where have you been Essan?!?!?

so glad to see you postin' again

• Essan
    Essan

Thanks Fade Away.

I see they still teach that Jesus presence began in 1914. But I'm wondering if they still falsely claim that they were preaching this same thing long before 1914, if you see what I mean? They have lied about what they used to preach back then, trying to pretend it was the same as what they teach now, and I'm wondering if they are still repeating this lie in very recent times.

Congrats on being out, BTW.

Hi Wasblind!

Yeah I pop by now and again. But otherwise I'm just getting on with life - now that I actually have one, since leaving the JW's

• wasblind
    wasblind

Alright then !!! behave yourself now

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Last one I remember was in revelation book. Here is the 2006 addition to old Rev book. They usually if not always include gentile times in the context so they can weasel themselves out as not lying but blame the reader for misunderstanding what they read.

KM Sep. 2006

"p. 69, ¶11, replace last sentence with: Almost 40 years ahead of time, they pointed to 1914 as the year marked in Bible prophecy as the end of the times of the Gentiles, accompanied by startling developments on earth.—Revelation 1:10."

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

They can spin it however they want, but the fact remains the WT prior to 1914 thought it would be THE end, not a precursor. Id have a lot more respect if they would come out and say th WT said it would mark the end and that they were wrong. Instead they just want to sweep it under the rug.

• Alfred
    Alfred

The DVD that was distributed at the 2010 district convention (Faith In Action) made this claim, not once but twice (that the Bible Students expected Jesus to take the throne in 1914)... But the GB was smart about this... they let the anonymous narrator say this instead of them (so as not to have this lie come directly out of one of their mouths)... very well played by the WT.

• Essan
    Essan

Thanks all!

Alfred, thats perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. Yes, that DVD lies specifically about this issue several times, showing that it's still a current deception. Just what I wanted to know.

What a bunch of frauds, and now some of the GB have actually put their names and faces to this lie too. We know it's deliberate, because so many people have written to them about it in years past. They had their chance to stop telling lies, but they're addicted.

Thanks again.

Essan.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The Bible Teachbook has this astonishing claim on page 215:

1914—A Significant Year in
    Bible Prophecy

DECADES in advance, Bible students proclaimed that there
    would be signi?cant developments in 1914. What were these,
    and what evidence points to 1914 as such an important year?

The claims made by the Bible students in advance of 1914 proved to be all false. I pointed out this fact in my study, with quotes from what was actually proclaimed ahead of time in society publications and my research was most unwelcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit