For Those Who Went: How "Special" Was Sunday's "Special Talk?"

by Room 215 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I am happy to say that I wasn't there.

I have the outline, though. Thanks sister!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

As 'Special' as an old worn out stinky pair of shoes.

In a word........... Ordinary.

• watson
    watson

I must confess, haven't been real regular at the meetings lately. The wife and I showed up about 3 minutes late, listened to the talk. At the end of the talk, the MC thanked the speaker for presenting the "Special" talk and I turned to my wife and asked.."is this the special talk?" "I guess so," she said.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I'm sure it was quite special, in the same way as the kids who ride the short bus to school.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

I was aroused during the entire talk. True story.

• godrulz
    godrulz

It is good to share Bible principles, but sad to bore people with a canned presentation. The Bible must also be translated/interpreted/applied properly, something Pharisaical JWs do not do often enough.

Religion has behavioral truths in common (often because based on Judeo-Christianity). One can be a 'better' person by living up to biblical principles on sexuality, love, family, etc. The problem is that false religion does not give the power for sinful man to live up to these high ideals all of the time.

Biblical, historical, orthodox Christianity (Deity of Christ; Bible as the Word of God, salvation by grace through faith alone apart from works, etc.) gives the power (Holy Spirit, personal, Deity) to live up to these things. It also alone has redemptive truth that leads to eternal life (what good is it for an atheist, Buddhist, Muslim, Mormon, JW, etc. to be a better person and still end up separated from God after death).

I am thankful that my church has godly leadership that exegetes and applies Scripture with dynamic preaching and the anointing of the Holy Spirit (vs dead, polished, public speaking lectures). I am also thankful we worship in spirit and in truth and that the name of Jesus is exalted and the character and attributes of God are extolled. We also have genuine love and unity, not fear, control, and uniformity. We are not perfect, but the truth has set free with abundant and eternal life. Those who are turned off WT (rightly so) should realize that God is alive, His Word is truth, and there are churches in the land that are alive with the presence and power of God. The problem is not religion, God, Jesus, etc., but false religion and sinful men.

• yknot
    yknot

Godrulz.... and what religion would that be?

OH OH OH OH OH OH ..... another thing that made my SP Talk *special* is because I wore a ruffly pantsuit (snicker, naughty girl giggles!)....

• Room 215
    Room 215

Yknot, sadly there are far too few JW speakers of the kind you describe above; there never were too many to begin with and now they are on the point of extinction.

• Room 215
    Room 215

.... which is to say, YKnot, in your case it was the SPEAKER who was special

• godrulz
    godrulz

yknot: biblical, historical, orthodox Christianity (formerly biblical Judaism in the OT). The essentials of the faith include the Deity and physical resurrection of Christ (Jn. 1; I Cor. 15), the gospel based on grace through faith in the person and work of Christ alone apart from works (Jn. 1:12; Jn. 3:16; Jn. 14:6; Acts 4:12; Rom. 1:16; Rom. 10:9-10; I Cor. 15:1-4; Eph. 2:8-10; Titus 3:5; I Jn. 5:11-13), the Bible as the Word of God (correctly translated/interpreted/appied), etc. It is about the real gospel, the real Jesus, not a particular church or organization (there are biblical churches, but not one universal, centralized, autocratic organization/group). Evangelical Christianity (Pentecostal in particular, but not exclusively) is on the right track.

When JWs start doubting the WT, they wonder where to go if the WT is not true (since they fear and think every other group is demonic, etc.). The answer is a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ/YHWH who alone can give abundant and eternal life apart from manmade mother organizations that lead away from God/truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit