Were There/Are There A Number Of Gays At Bethel?

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I have a family memeber that went to Bethel and after a while was sent back home.

The reason given was that he knew about homosexual activities but did not report them, this would have been in the early to mid 60's.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Hahahahahahaha LOL Hahahahahahaha .... sorry this topic is just so f'ing funny. I have images of elders giving talkings and flapping their hands around and going, "Oh, be nice Satan, you stinky little bastard" and saying in a demonstation, "You just talk to the hand sister, you hear me?" Wait, I see also a gay elder talking to a young pioneer brother, "Wow, you sure do look hot today! You better get out there and kick some booty in the territory." How about a Circiut Assembly where they start saying things like, "Satan comes up to you and offers a sin and your like, as if! I don't play that game sister. No no no!" Waving your finger around. Plus, he could be telling young brothers, "Let me adjust that tie, nothin worse then a limp tie on a man. It needs to be straight firm and long." LOL Hahahahaha. Just had too, so funny to think about it in such a conservative religion.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

About 15 years ago, when you would ring the French bethel at Louviers, the guy in charge of the switchboard would welcome you with "Les Témoins de Jehovah, bonjour" in such a way that you couldn't help but have this feeling that he was not quite straight.

• blondie
    blondie

I knew two men in separate areas of the Midwest US that studied and became jws. Both were gay but were not practicing after their baptism. I don't see it any differently than if men or women were promiscuous before being baptized but lived single celibate lives after baptism (or married later and had sex only with their spouse). The idea that they never had any sexual thoughts makes no sense.

Were there gays at Bethel? When I lived in NY it was well known by the elders in my NY congregation anyway about the scandals in the 60's and later in the mid 80's re Bethel. I heard about them and I'm not an elder, not even a brother.

• freydo
    freydo

It's one thing to have temptation to do wrong, but it's quite another to offer no resistance and practice the evil.

That's why there are laws. And when one flouts law that is supposed to represent standards - they are subject to its penalty.

But often people think they're getting away with something because there is no immediate judgement.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Perhaps we should mention that there were (at least) two GB members who were quietly removed and sent out into the field from Bethel because they were clearly discovered to be practicing gays.

In 1970 my instructors at the overseers school were Albert Schroeder, and another rising star (Randall Davis) who looked and acted exactly like the famous actor Paul Lynde - floaming obvious, if you will.

There was a major Bethel scandal that I clearly recall in the 1970s. Apparantly, this has happened again later.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@Won'tLeave- I agree with you. It is NOT a choice. You are born with the feelings and desires you have. I do not act on them, but they will never change or go away. There is nothing wrong with my desires and I could not care less about what religious nuts have to say about it. I also resent the typical "gay" stereotype as that stereotype does not fit me at all.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    @Won'tLeave- I agree with you. It is NOT a choice. You are born with the feelings and desires you have. I do not act on them, but they will never change or go away. There is nothing wrong with my desires and I could not care less about what religious nuts have to say about it. I also resent the typical "gay" stereotype as that stereotype does not fit me at all.

I happen to agree that in most cases, it seems to be a natural biological condition. The point of the thread, though, is the hypocrisy of the JW position on the issue, and the culture at Bethel on such subjects.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

"Oh, be nice Satan, you stinky little bastard"

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This reminds me of a time when I was a bartender at a busy club in downtown Portland, OR. This quite obviously gay (and intoxicated) bellied up to the bar. It went like this:

ME: Evenin'. What can I get you?

HIM: Ooooh I dunno...*hic*...just some kind of stinky little drink.

ME: (Trying so hard not to bust up laughing). Stinky, huh? Can you be a little more specific?

HIM: Just some kind of nasty *hic* little bourbon or something...*hic*

ME: I don't know, man. It would appear that maybe you've had too much to drink tonight. I don't think I'm going to serve you anymore alcohol.

HIM: WELL THEN CALL ME A CAB, BITCH! *HIC*

ME: You're a cab, bitch.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@james_woods- I used to have such high regard for Bethel. But thanks to JWN I have learned what goes on behind the facade. I would not be suprised any more to find out there were cases of some bethelites engaging in homosexual activity and it being covered up while the talks and WT articles roundly condemn homosexuality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit