It's Friday! Let's Drink Some Whisk(e)y!! (Responsibly, Of Course)

by Low-Key Lysmith 121 Replies latest jw friends

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

As some of you know, I am employed as Master of Whisky for Seattle (Pac NW). I represent Diageo N America's Whisk(e)y portfolio.

This includes: Johnnie Walker, The Classic Malts of Scotland, Bushmills Irish Whiskey, Crown Royal, Bulleit Bourbon and Rye Whiskey, George Dickel Tennessee Whisky, and Bucchanan's Blended Scotch Whisky.

My job basically involves speaking publicly about the whiskies, hosting and presenting whisk(e)y tastings and dinners, and educating bar & restaurant staff about whisk(e)y. Tough gig, I know.

My MOW bio & pic can be found on Crown Royal's website here: http://www.crownroyal.com/west-masters/breck-taylor

Anyhow,

I was thinking about putting a featured whisky of the week up here every Friday. Please add your own thoughts on other whiskies. I would ultimately like to begin a thread for whisk(e)y enthusiasts and discussion.

Tonight's selection will be Ardbeg Uigeadail:

This extreme and full-bodied single malt comes from a small island off the Western Highland Coast of Scotland called Islay (pronounced EYE-luh). The whiskies from this island are characteristicly peaty (smoky) and bold. This one is no exception. Bottled at near cask-strength (54.2% abv), this powerhouse definitely has a bite that is balanced by a nice fruity complexity.

Nose
    Sweet yet pungently smoky: lime marmalade and peat fires on the beach, malt, cocoa powder, salted herring.
    Palate
    Rich, concentrated and powerful. Sooty with light tarry/liquorice touches. The lime returns. Tapers to a briny seaweed.
    Finish
    Long. Biscuity malt.
    Comment
    Some dram! Reminiscent of standing downwind of a barbeque on the beach.

This whisky won World Whisky of the Year in Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2009.

I may just have another.

Slainte!

-Breck

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Hmmm? Maybe nobody around here likes whisky?

It was worth a shot.

• tec
    tec

I'm drinking tea. Sorry.

Once I drank three fingers of whisky from my hubbies favorite stash (first thing in the morning), and I was drunk for the rest of the day. That's gotta win me something ;)

Tammy

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

very fond of Crown here, also JD single barrel

• badseed
    badseed

I love whiskey. I don't know much about it, I just drink it on the rocks. And I try not to drink too much of it, jekyll and hide kind of effect..haha

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Canadian whiskeys mostly, 40 Creek, Canadian Club Reserve, Crown Reserve. Not a big bourbon guy. Not too big on Scotch either.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I've been wanting to try some Irish whiskey. What does the Bushmills taste like?

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

tec: Hey, it's not for everyone.

DesirousOfChange: Crown Royal makes great Canadian Whisky. If you like Crown Original, you should try the new Crown Black. They upped the proof to 90 and matured the spirit in super-charred, ex-bourbon casks. Fullflavored and full-bodied while maintaining that signature Crown smoothness You also mentioned Jack Daniels Single Barrel. Another good whiskey from Tennessee. If you like Tennessee whiskey, you owe it to yourself to try George Dickel. Try the No. 12 or, if you can find it, the Barrel Select.

badseed: It can have that effect on folks. I try to drink it slowly What's your favorite style/brand?

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

sooner7nc: Irish Whiskey is a little more robust than its Canadian cousins. If it says "Malt" or "Single Malt" on the label, it means that it has been produced from 100% malted barley in pot stills. Canadian whiskies are primarily made from a combination of rye and corn spirits and distilled in continuous column stills. This method produces a much lighter, more neutral spirit. Most Irish Whiskeys, however, are blends as opposed to single malts. When an Irish Whiskey is blended, it incorporates other grain spirits, like corn, rye, and wheat. This softens and sweetens the pure barley spirit. That said, if you like Canadian Whisky, you will very likely appreciate a good Irish blend, like Bushmills, Tullamore Dew, John Powers, Kilbeggan, or Jameson, just expect it to be slightly fuller-bodied than the Canadian stuff that you're used to.

Scotch whisky is much more robust than the Irish stuff. If you don't like Scotch, I wouldn't reccommend trying an Irish Single Malt. They tend to be quite similar.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Breck, I think we should be friends. I think that if you have any need for a whiskey sampler that you should let me be the guinea pig. I'll take one for the team and drink the whiskey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit