What was your "aha" moment....

by botchtowersociety 49 Replies latest jw friends

• strymeckirules
    strymeckirules

when my study conductor told me jesus created everything. so what is jesus's heavenly fathers job?

also when i learned about all the crap about who qualifys to be annointed, 1935 and the age you had to be

my study conductor told me that only 10% of studys actually progress into full witnesses. that suprised me.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Read my bio, then guess what I decided.....

• Ding
    Ding

For me the WT allure was broken via doctrinal tapes by Bill Cetnar and Walter Martin.

Then I met some XJWs who knew Ray Franz and told me what was happening to him.

The got me an early copy of CoC and put me onto Randy Watters' "Thus Saith" book and related materials.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

1975, a calculable date impossible by anyone, either biblically or by archaeological means, a prospering lie that that actually caused

some your people to commit suicide.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Aha. there were several of them.

One was when I was an elder. I was talking with other elders and a district overseer about a specific problem in our congregation.

I realized that God's spirit was not really guiding us. Far from it. We were screwing things up so badly for people, and were really just relying on our own goofy opinions.

The District Overseer was so socially retarded when it came to matters of common sense. I could see so clearly that he was just a kid who grew up on the JW treadmill and because he followed all the rules and did what he was suppose to do - he kept getting "promoted", even though he was really a very low quality person.

I knew then that this could not possibly be God's chosen organization if guys like that were appointed by "holy spirt". I tried to rationalize it...tried to convince myself with the same old reasoning...we are all imperfect...etc etc...but gee whiz...this was too much and too often. AHA!

The Oracle

• cathryn
    cathryn

I think it was around 1991-1992 when I learned about the library card thing with the UN. Actually they were a NGO and had to sign that they agreed with the UN charter. Up till then the WTS was calling the UN the wild beast. But after this library card thing, nothing but good things about the UN, actually promoting the UN. It was really disgusting. So that was a big turning point for me.

Recently I had a visit from JWs. I brought this issue up to them and of course they said it was nothing. They didn't want to discuss the silentlambs either and defended the protection of pedophiles in the organization, especially the elders and ministeral servant pedophiles. And when one of them was talking to me, they said, "new world order". I had forgotten how frequently that term is used by JWs but I have developed a particular dislike for that term over the years and I said, "Please don't use that term." So they left and haven't been back since. I can't imagine why.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

had a few that I dismissed but the two that I just could not ignore were. I was inactive but still believed just needed some space to think and an elder was looking for a way to DF me. He was told my husband wasn't divorced when we married. It was not true. Anyway... I was looking at goldfish and thinking about the being that created the beautiful goodfish... and it just hit me. God does not want to kill me because this elder thinks my husband wasn't divorced when we married. So the light whent off. This can't be God's only and true religion...

the 2nd light went off reading CoC... that was when I KNEW they were FOS

• What Now?
    What Now?

I started following a blog of a Christian mother (Not specifically because she's Christian ... it was around the time that we wanted to start a family and was just looking for parenting advice). She had such a beautiful soul and was so happy and passionate about her faith, and it began to bother me more and more that I was supposed to believe that she was wicked and would die at Armageddon just because she didn't subscribe to JW doctrine. I've come across so many people that are not in "the truth" and some of them are better people then a lot of the Witnesses I know, and I was tired of thinking of them as "worldly" - it felt like thinking of them as less then human. That opened up the door for me to begin seriously investigating JW doctrine.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@botchtowersociety- Welcome!

Actually there was no aha moment for me while I was attending meetings. (a-ha are my favorite band!)

Over the years there were little things that disturbed me, not much that I can remember now. But seeing cases of elders lying, and then setting up a kangeroo court to delate the elder who was studying with me made me have doubts God's spirit was there. That elder even blew his stack over his situation and choked me. I remained close to him anyway, but his situation caused him to move away.

I've had alot of disappointing experiences over the years in the congs I attended. I guess it just kept wearing away at me little by little. I remember being at a CA in 1999 or 2000 - I heard things from the platform that were so fake...I had to leave the building and walk around outside for a while.

I ended up going to meetings less and less with longer gaps between them- not planned-just lost my desire to go. The cong treated me as an outsider. August 2005 was my last time at any meeting.

I never spoke with "apostates" so learned a lot from this site! But I did not discover this site untill I had been away from meetings for several years.

The UN/NGO thing bothered me, but again, by the time I learned of it I was no longer attending any meetings anyway.

• Aaron Eldridge
    Aaron Eldridge

Reading a original edition(1917 small print edition) of The Finished Mystery and finding out about all those predictions of the end of the Armageddon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit