What was your "aha" moment....

by botchtowersociety 49 Replies latest jw friends

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

....that made you decide to leave the Botchtower Society?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome!

I was researching the topic of Blood Transfusions, and quickly realized that the WT magazine wasn't getting "light" from Jehovah, they were just making stuff up.

• journey-on
    journey-on

There were a few. But, it was post 1975. I had seen many older brothers and sisters sell off their homes and other material acquisitions to go into the pioneer work full time. They had to prove their faith was THAT strong in the WTS heavenly connection. They lost. I was out in field service on a Saturday morning. At the end of the block, I just suddenly stood there, and KNEW it was all b*llsh*t. It took a while to fully break away, but I NEVER went in field service again after that epiphany.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I started realizing something was wrong with the Creation/Evolution book.

The big flash was 1914. I learned that the 607 BC date was wrong.

It was all downhill (or uphill?) from there.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Mine was when a couple elders tried to tell me that their decisions (and specifically a decision I vocally criticized to several "friends") were to be considered as made by Christ himself based on Revelation 1:16-20 and that I was in spiritual danger because of my "pride."

Still, it took me several years after that to learn what I needed to learn and summon the motivation to quit "waiting on Jehovah" and get the heck out of there.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I cant remember the exact title: something like JWs in the 20 Century?

Anyway, whilst everone else was raving about how faith strengthening,

I was thinking, so 100 years ago they were saying the end is iminent, and were often abused, persecuted, etc for their faith.

And now they are all dead, and even their children are dead.

And what about me in 100 years time? Is all that I'm sacrificing a waste of my time and life?

I think so. So the only answer was to leave. Once the seed sown.........................

• snowbird
    snowbird

Never one special moment - lost of little nagging things.

The BIG thing, though, is their pushing Jesus of Nazareth out of the picture.

Syl

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

For me it was the 607 doctrine.

Once that was debunked, everything else fell like a pack of cards.

• Reader1
    Reader1

I was having issues with some of the prophecies (it's a long story, perhaps I'll tell it here one day). I knew my views were wrong, and couldn't find a biblical resolution. So I decided to tackle something that I thought would be simple to defend, creation.

I started to research evolution, hoping to understand it so that I could find support for creation. My research proved to me that the bible is not what it purports to be. After further research on the New Testament, I was able to remove the power of the mythical forces from my life.

• Igot2bme
    Igot2bme

Mine was when I stumbled across a topic on the truth about the Malawi/Mexican cards, then after that the 1975 failed prophecy. I eventually started looking up everything I could on the WTS and it's origins. It was both an eye opening and liberating time for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit