What was your "aha" moment....

by botchtowersociety 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Alfred
    Alfred

Early last year, my PO sent me a YouTube video of the Haitian president holding a WT publication (a few days after the earthquake)... the guy turned out to be a local activist (not the president)... anyway, I started reading the "apostate" comments below the video (which this elder failed to notice)... I really can't remember the comment I read which led me to look into 607-1914, 1975, etc..

I eventually read COC, Gentile Times Reconsidered, In Search of, old WT books, etc... my eyes opened up wide and I never looked back...

All thanks to the PO in my congo who didn't have time to "shepherd the flock" because he was too busy getting his Doctorate's Degree in Computer Science...

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

In 2000 there was talking about the Generation... changing their Understanding...

Then a book released at an Assembly had a pic of the Great Flood and I saw a Dinosaur in the background.....

I asked and the response I got was ...It is possible the Dinosaurs died in the Flood...

That did it for me....... I had many doubts but I swore if they Ever Changed their mind about the 1914 Generation...

(A generation means you would have to be old enough to remember 1914 to be part of the Generation)

Very soon after that a door opened for me and I never looked back....

• Robert7
    Robert7

I had many doubts piling up, in addition to the fact that I stopped believing in a creator and became an atheist... I remember 2 things that were the final straw:

1) Governing body worship. Every talk, article, prayer, kept talking about the GB. Once an article said that if you give excessive attention to something (like sports) it is a form of idolatry or worship. This was exactly what was happening to the GB. They were worshipping the GB!

2) Constant mention of JWs in WWII. I always hated when this was brought up, and it was brought up often, because for the ~7,000 JWs that died, they are completely ignoring and disrespecting the 6 Million Jews that died. Once I heard a 10 year old kid give an experience at a CA, and said he told his teacher that Jews died because of their nationality, but JWs died because of their religion! Total arrogance!

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

In 2000 there was talking about the Generation... changing their Understanding...

I remember a change regarding generations.....but I seem to remember it being in 1995.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

My situation had pretty much nothing to do with doctrine. It was more the kind of people that were "rewarded" by Jeehoober with positions in the congregation. I was on the fast track to be one of them until one day I listened to myself become the shallow person that so many of the elders in our cong. were. I didn't want to be that person, so I started quitting my assignments and refusing new ones. Eventually, because of other reasons that I won't go into in this post, I found it easier to just stop going. Afterwards, I started seeing lots of fallacies within the church doctrines.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Being married to an elder that was a total hypocrite, yet loved and admired by all.

• donny
    donny

For me it was looking at what they were teaching between 1914 and 1919 when Jesus was supposedly examining them in his search for the faithful and discreet slave. After I had read the Finished Mystery I knew that no such selection was made.

• The Finger
    The Finger

i REread matthew 24 and decided that there is only one sign. In matthew 24:30. in answer to matthew 24:3.

Christ didn't tell you what it was because you didnt need to know as the angels gather you.

• doubtful
    doubtful

I hated how much crap I got from people because of my decision to pursue a college education and a professional career..instead of "living like there's no tomorrow" - except for when it comes to "theocratic things" of course..

I always felt like the odd-man out because it seemed as if I were infinitely smarter than just about every other JW, and I always had trouble relating to and being understood and accepted by other JW youth because of their ignorance, general level of stupidity, and myopic view on life.

And I found it nauseating how often bros from the platform or various articles would denigrate education..and I grew tired of looking around at all of the poor witnesses, born to less than privelleged parents..who were stuck in a cycle of poverty because they were denied the opportunity for personal advancement..they were all doomed to a life of hardship or mediocrity at best..

I took a look at all of them...and decided I didn't want to end up like them...sacrificing all of my natural talents and ambitions for something that had been predicted as imminent for over 130 years but had yet to materialize.

So...one day after being particularly frustrated over the education issue..I decided to google "Jehovah's witnesses and higher education" and I came across jwfacts.com --- Started reading up on 1914 and the history of the org...read other material from a variety of sources..and my faith in the org (which was already shaky)..just completely collapsed..

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

It was actually a small thing. When the Society would not let any of their Elders that were public speakers make up their own talks but could only read word for word an outline provided them from the Organization. Heck, my 10 yr old daughter was a pretty good reader. She might as well have given the Sunday lecture.

Appraently they did not trust their own congregation leaders to mouth truth, so why even study?

Outaservice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit