crisis of conscience

by inbetween 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• inbetween
    inbetween

When i was fully in, I never even heard of Ray Franz or his books.

After learning the truth about the truth, what woke me up, was in the first place the inconsistency of doctrine, the missing logic and the bending of the scripture to fit their theology.

Personal experiences I took with a grain of salt. Therefore, even though I learned about "Crisis of Conscience" I did not bother reading it. Personally I did not doubt, that what he wrote would be true, but I thought, it would not help somebody to get out, because, its his personal experience, which proves nothing in the end. There is always another side of the story, another viewpoint, that is not presented.

Recently though, i got the chance to read it myself, and I was blown away....

I did not expect such a well documented and well written account. Of course, not everything he says he can show a document for it, but the amount of evidence he could produce was a surprise for me.

Even the correspondence after his disfellowshipping about the recorded tapes show how misleading and unfair the WTS can get if somebody is in their way. The whole matter of his disfellowshipping sounded very similar to the trial of Jesus.

So to anybody who has not read it yet: It really is worth every minute of your time !

• sizemik
    sizemik

The whole matter of his disfellowshipping sounded very similar to the trial of Jesus.

That's the very same impression I was left with . . . also Ray's honesty and humility shone through his account . . . as much a validation of it as the documentation IMO.

Glad you took the time to read (and recommend) it. It's a must read for any XJW as you say.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"Recently though, i got the chance to read it myself, and I was blown away...."

"So to anybody who has not read it yet: It really is worth every minute of your time !"

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It is probably good to re-read once in awhile, as well.

I just had a family member who HAS read CoC and had determined the Borg is NOT God's organization revert to cult mode and tell me, "even though I know what I have read about the organization, they are still the ones who taught us the truth."

I was blown away. Even when you think you (or someone else) is out, the Borg can pull you right back in. I couldn't help myself. I had to ask, "what truth?" "Well, the truth of the Bible." Then I couldn't stay in question-asking mode anymore. I replied, "but it ISN'T true. Anyone can find scriptures to say anything they want. There is no reason to think what they say is true any more than a Baptist or Lutheran or any other church. They ALL use the SAME BOOK to teach DIFFERENT things."

Anyway, point is, reading the book works but so does cult indoctrination. A discussion or two with a JW and a trip to the Memorial and your JW (or God forbid, YOU) can be pulled right back into cult mode.

• jeckle
    jeckle

I'm reading it now. So far so good.

As side note: I keep thinking I remember being at a book study the last time we did the revelation book. We were studying wbts time lines i remember thinking at that time.What if they're wrong and they talked crap about the jews alot and thought thats not what the bible says. But it was just fleeting thought I didn't dwell on them, and I didn't think I was apposing them then either. Thinking back I can remember many times thinking what i was being told didn't jive. I actually thought christendom makes more sence biblically (btw christendom isn't the bad word jws make it)no argument intended because i still believe in christianity.I don't subscribe to any organization few of us can anymore' my opinion only i could be wrong.peace out luke

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I just had a family member who HAS read CoC and had determined the Borg is NOT God's organization revert to cult mode and tell me, "even though I know what I have read about the organization, they are still the ones who taught us the truth."

In my opinion, this illustrates how very important it is for people to read Steve Hassan's first book. Ray illustrates how WT is not, nor has it ever been, 'God's Organization'. He pulls back the curtain, so that we can see the little man. Hassan explains how intelligent, caring and honest people can get sucked into (and remain active) in a destructive, apocalyptic group, despite the overwhelming, available evidence that runs contrary to the WT dogma. Further, Hassan details how the WT organization is not unique or special, as the members believe. There are many, many high-control groups that operate in a very similar manner, with similar language, such as 'The Truth'. One begins to see that WT is merely a recent version of a typical, High-Control group, using the Bible/Armageddon as their Hammer.

Also, Ray's second book is a real eye-opener for those who feel that MOST of the WT doctrines are the only correct, Biblical views. 'In Search of Christian Freedom' examines all of the major WT doctrines, then provides the reader with plausible, alternative interpretations from the Bible.

Examination of how Hassan's book specifically applies to the WT experience:

http://www.jehovahswitnessrecovery.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=737

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The cult mind control is so powerful. It is amazing. And scary.

• prophecor
    prophecor

I try to re-read it on occasion as I need reminding from time to time. With the great amount of doctrine we've been fed, it takes me paying more than the usual attention to stay focused on where I've been during this journey. Like getting an oil change every 3000 metephorical miles.

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

I have Mr. Franz' book right beside me. I haven't picked it up to read just yet, because I am certain, once I do, I will feel even more disgusted that I waisted my 20's and most of my 30's being duped.

Don't get me wrong, I did have some great times and friends while in the "Truth" (along with horrible treatment here & there) still, abandoning all my "worldly" friends and the holidays that meant so much to me before the org as well as my family while I was in...I can't help but feel a betrayal by these wolves in sheep's clothing.

Well, as my mother would say, piss or get off the pot. So I guess I need to shake the dew off my lily and get to readin'.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I started coming out, still not knowing about a book by a former GB member. I didn't even need CoC to get to my conclusions after I read so many other things. But once I read it, I couldn't imagine any JW remaining a JW after reading it. (Obviously, it does happen- sad for them.)

I have not reread the book, moved on to other books. It's a hugely important book, but there is so much in it that reminds me how I just went along. No need for me to relive that again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit