"Recruiting the Deaf" a new "Freeminds" article by Barb Anderson

by Dogpatch 24 Replies latest jw friends

• xchange
    xchange

Good article and pretty accurate.

I remember the whole row over the 'head covering' for female interpreters. As a professional interpreter the whole debate was ridiculous. An interpreter renders a message (consecutively - real time) from a source language into a target language without adding or subtracting to the message/content. This is done objectively, NOT subjectively and without prejudice. The notion that the sister would somehow be teaching was a non-issue and basically came down to certain (if not all) brothers dislking the idea of a female receiving all of the attention and NOT the male speaker.

After any interpreting any meeting/assembly part etc., it's normal for people to thank the interpreter and tell them what a great job they did. In fact, the better you are, the more this happens and you become somewhat of a mini-celebrity in the community. Especially if you kick ass in ASL. According to some brothers, this would encourage the sista's ego to grow out of control and of course they want to keep her down a few notches or so. The female gender needs to be submissive after all <insert groan>.

By and large, the methods for hunting down deaf people is a waste of time. You will literally spend hours driving around, knocking on doors, harassing businesses and writing letters to schools with nothing to show for. Not to mention how much gas you have wasted driving all over.

As for deaf people with degrees, I will kindly disagree with what is stated in this thread. There are actually more deaf people with degrees today than ever. In fact, there are deaf doctors, lawyers, engineers, biotech engineers etc etc. Due in part because of Gallaudet University, accessibility to interpreting services and changing views on deaf people in society. Technology has also changed the life of the average deaf person - cochlear implants, Video Relay Service, internet which has allowed for more integration into society.

• jgnat
    jgnat

xchange, I stand corrected on the increasing number of degreed deaf. I was referencing an older work, apparently, which did show a marked decline when Bell's methods predominated. I am happy to see they have recovered.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The percentage of degreed Deaf still isn't close to hearing levels. It is better than it was but it still has a long way to go. Just like for all minorities, there are built-in barriers to achievement. Things have improved and continue to do so, though.

• xchange
    xchange

Hey jgnat. You are correct in saying that there was a marked decline with the 1880 Milan decision, but that was more of a decline of deaf teachers in the school system. Those numbers have risen, but not dramatically. AVT is still around and won't be going anywhere soon due to more people getting cochlear implants. While AG-Bell heavily promotes the use of AVT, they will respect a parent's choice for sign language.

• Roski
    Roski

In Australia the society always seemed (to me) to be more interested in supporting the deaf groups than other foreign language groups - where there was sometimes more interest/growth. In a couple of the congregations I attended there was a fairly high 'distrust' factor re the bro/sis who wanted to be in the foreign langague groups and the foreign lang. brothers themselves -(not as spiritual). I was once asked to give language lessons to the new incoming elder, but he called to cancel saying he didn't take kindly to being instructed by a woman - I told him I didn't take kindly to spending time with people who had an issue with learning from a woman. I left that group ( and the org) not too long after.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Yes, I am sure the society has a lot of meaningful things to tell the deaf.

Watchtower Bible and Tract Society has an important message for deaf people.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

By and large, the methods for hunting down deaf people is a waste of time. You will literally spend hours driving around, knocking on doors, harassing businesses and writing letters to schools with nothing to show for. Not to mention how much gas you have wasted driving all over.

And this is different from the regular field ministry how?

No Apologies

• wobble
    wobble

Hey Kurt, that sign is the same in British Sign Language ! It is probably universal, and mainly aimed at the GB !

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Roski- "I was once asked to give language lessons to the new incoming elder, but he called to cancel saying he didn't take kindly to being instructed by a woman"

What an ass that guy must have been.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

It is a capture from a society video. I believe the proper British term for what is saying is "wanking".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit