Just had a JW lady at the door and boy can she lie or has no clue!

by donny 37 Replies latest jw friends

• donny
    donny

Funny how things work. I had just posted a sarcastic question on PC's thread about last nights call with the Six Screens folks when the door bell rang. It was a JW lady and she was by herself. She began explaining that there would be a special bible tralk on May 1st at the Salinas Kingdom Hall that would explain how "Bible Principles" would help us handle todays problems we encounter in our everyday lives.

I told her that I had a friend who was a JW and I have a problem with being told what to believe with no room for doubt. It went like this.

JW - We are not robots. We dont have to agree with 100% of what everyone else believes. We believe what the bible says.

Me - But do you not have to believe everything your leaders determine to be the truth?

JW - No, not necessarily. We have some beliefs that are based on conscience and that affects different people different ways.

Me - Well let me give you an example. I know from this friend that you folks believed not too long ago that the generation mentioned in Matthew 24 began in 1914 and those who were alive in that year would see the end arrive.

JW - Yes we did, sort of, but we have since received a clearer understanding.

Me - And who received or determined this new understanding?

JW - The brothers who make up the governing body. Unlike other churches we dont have a man as a leader. God uses a group of men which is called the governing body and he does this so that one man cannot stray from the truth. It's hard to explain unless you really understand how these things work in the Bible. If you come to the talk you can talk to the elders.

Me - So what would happen if you still wanted to believe that the former belief about 1914?

JW - Nothing. The elders would try to get you to understand why it has changed but if they can't get you to accept it, oh well.

Me - Oh well? That's it? You would not be kicked out for still believing the old way?

JW - Of course not. You cant be kicked out for believing something we have taught in the past.

Me - Are you sure about that?

JW - Yes I am sure.

Me - Well my friend just could not accept that Jesus chose your organization in 1919 as the one true religion. He had a real issue with that.

JW - 1919? We don't teach anything about 1919. I think you're confused with the year World War One ended.

Me - Huh?

JW - I have to get going. Here is a tract inviting you to the special talk on May 1. Please come and you can ask the elders these questions. You will be amazed at their knowledge. Good-bye sir.

The tract she handed me is titled "Jesus takes away the sin of the World" followed by the questions "How does he do so? Why is this necessary? How can you benefit?

It then says "We invite you to find out on Sunday, April 17, 2011"

On the back is a pic of a JW at the podium with the caption "You are also invited to a special bible talk entitled "Bible Principles - Can they Help Us to Cope With Today's Problems?" to be held at the Salinas Kingdom Hall on May 1, 2011 @ 9:00 am. I can hardly wait.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Denial is an art.

-Sab

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

and ignorance is bliss

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

We know more about their doctrines than they do.

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

@ Sab....and to think I thought it was a river in Egypt. LOL....sorry bad joke!

Wow, but I wonder if she will think about what you said.

• nugget
    nugget

JWs do not know enough about their own religion sad to say. At least she realised she was out of her depth.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I genuinlely believe a many JW's do not know or understand the significant aspects of their doctrines and history.

• donny
    donny

1919 is the year WW 1 ended? That was the first time I had heard that response. And I loved the "oh well" response as a description of the elders opinion if one continues to remain in the "old light."

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

If she was under age 40 I wouldn't be surprised if she actually didn't know anything about 1919.

All that prophecy and doctrinal stuff is for "deep" study that the old folks used to do. The Borg doesn't push it anymore because they don't have to. They've accepted that members are just as loyal if they don't know what's going on as they used to be when Freddie tried to explain it all to them, probably even more so.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

So, it's ok to believe in Christmas and in blood transfusions. The Watch Tower used to believe in those too!

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit