The meetings used to make me physically sick.

by FifthOfNovember 37 Replies latest jw friends

• FifthOfNovember
    FifthOfNovember

It's 9:10 Sunday morning. I'm dressed already, and just finished rushing through my watchtower a few seconds ago. Now I need to wait for my ride to pick me up (I couldn't drive yet). I'm standing around my kitchen, then it hits me. My stomach starts killing me. I start pacing back and forth hoping it ends soon. My ride shows up and I get in their car. My stomach settles down. Then throughout the meeting it comes in waves, usually it would calm down and I'd be fine. But I remember one time where I had to go to the bathroom multiple times one meeting.

After I stopped going to meetings I realized that almost every time before I left for a meeting I would get stomach pains and have to go to the bathroom. I havn't had anything similar happen to me since I stopped going. It's horrible that I disliked the meetings so much (although I didn't realize it at the time) that it would make me physically ill. Has this happened to anyone else?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes.

Before I left for good in 2005, I would have bad anxiety attacks that would leave me drained.

At work right now, I hate to hear the word meeting.

Syl

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Same here, my anxiety attacks b4 & during the meetings were very intense, even now I avoid meeting at work, we had 1 two weeks ago, I developed a migrain the day before & lasted for 2 days after, normally I don't get them.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

It usually hit on a night when I had to give a talk.. But I pushed through it and felt much better when it was over..

Now I don't have to worry about it..I must be in Paradise..

Snoozy

• Igot2bme
    Igot2bme

It happened to me almost every time I would go, your experience brought back memories.

• Loljesus
    Loljesus

Yes this has happened to me many of times.
    I used to believe I was being "Possesed" by demons
    and they didn't want me to go.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

Well, as a child it used to happen before going to school :p/

I was quite familiar with the feeling by the time it came around when I began dreading meetings :(.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

I became physically ill whenever we went to an assembly or convention because of all the people. And after I realized "the truth" wasn't the truth, my heart would start racing at the meetings and wouldn't slow down. Because of that anxiety, I started missing meetings and feeling a whole lot better.

I would also become ill when I had to go on service because I was really shy and didn't like talking to people I didn't know.

• Bucholz
    Bucholz

Yes, I still attend meetings, and its really hard to do so. My panic attacks and anxiety would get so bad, I ended up going to a psychiatrist who prescribed Valium and Klonopin. Those medications have helped immensely. I feel particularly sick when they mention the 'overlapping generation' teaching.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

This used to happen to me before the conventions. I would get so anxious, I couldn't sleep and would have headaches and my stomache would hurt. I dreaded it so much. After a time I had to take prozac just to get through the weekend.

I think this is a common problem especially when people are mentally out of the org. but still in physically.

b.t.w. Welcome to the board. Peace, Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit