How can we PICK a new PICKER if we use our old one to PICK?

by Terry 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

The same brain that gets you into one false belief will surely get you into another.

Take a look at your own life right now. Most of what is going on (good or bad) is because of how you think and act.

You choose. You pick THIS and not that.

IF YOUR LIFE IS BROKEN...YOUR PICKER IS BROKEN FIRST.

We operate OUT OF those values we already have in place.

When we think we are choosing THIS instead of THAT all we are really doing is using the old blueprints.

Core values seldom change. It is too hard to replace them without collapsing the whole house of cards.

Here is something to think about.

For those of us who converted to become Jehovah's Witnesses...

Consider what would have happened if your core values had been different when you started studying with JW's.

1.What if you were skeptical about the Bible being an "inspired" book?

2.What if you had demanded your JW teacher show you how and why the bible canon was chosen.

3.What if you had asked where the original uncorrupt manuscripts were and how we know they were translated properly?

4.What if you had demanded a compelling reason why you should trust any religion that predicted things from the bible that DIDN'T HAPPEN?

5.What if you had asked what is so important about going door to door if all JW's are offering is CHANGEABLE IDEAS that must be revised again and again?

6.What if you had asked why other religious groups build hospitals, colleges, schools, charities and Jehovah's Witnesses DO NOT?

7.What if you had asked who Jesus had ever shunned and why JW's think they are holier than he was by turning their back on others?

8.What if you had asked why the Watchtower organization is the ONLY group that teaches 607 b.c.e. is a valid date when they HAVE NO SCHOLARS, ARCHEOLOGISTS, PALEONTOLOGISTS OR ANY OTHER EXPERTS ON STAFF?

In short, question YOUR OWN VALUES and discover why NONE OF THE ABOVE was possible for you.

Where was your PICKER broken?

How have you taken steps to fix your picker when you have to USE YOUR PICKER to even do that?!!

• journey-on
    journey-on

I was a born-in. I didn't even HAVE a picker, but something caused me to pick my way out of that mess! I guess I engineered and buillt my own picker. (Good points, btw, Terry.)

• james_woods
    james_woods

Quantum mechanics, Terry. You might have better luck (or at least different results) if you ran the experiment again.

An ironic exception to the notion that running an experiment again and expecting different results is a definition of insanity.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Picker?

Have you been watching Millionaire Matchmaker?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Don't pick, again. Just be.

S

• Terry
    Terry

Quantum mechanics, Terry. You might have better luck (or at least different results) if you ran the experiment again.

An ironic exception to the notion that running an experiment again and expecting different results is a definition of insanity.

Picking=deciding.

Deciding based on what? That is the question.

Each of us has personal tastes. In addition, we have heuristics in place. There are situational pressures as well.

We might well choose/select/pick/decide differently when pressures are applied that we would not choose/select/pick/decide were those pressures absent.

Example:

A teenage boy under hormonal pressures is at war with his own bodily urgings which may well conflict with his religious/moral heuristics.

If he were in an accident and his testicles removed (ouch) those urgings would presumably vanish since they were hormonally produced.

The pressure to PICK is often artificial, internal or otherwise contrived RATHER THAN PURE CHOICE.

In the end, however, when we do SELECT from among choices---unless we are armed with rational goals, purposes and clear thinking we may

fall into a DEFAULT selection acquired by urban myth, societal fashion, family prejudice, bad education, superstition, inattentiveness, etc. etc.

• james_woods
    james_woods

My point, Terry, was that the human brain is not totally deterministic.

On the very lowest level of action, quantum principles come into play - so we cannot precisely say what exactly it will do under a given circumstance.

• Terry
    Terry

My point, Terry, was that the human brain is not totally deterministic.

On the very lowest level of action, quantum principles come into play - so we cannot precisely say what exactly it will do under a given circumstance.

Give an example, please.

• eva luna
    eva luna

Picker /pecker

I was a born in too. But I stayed in well past the time of Reason.

Terry's heading reminds me of a new/old friend's words.

He said 'your picker is off' . [Of course, I heard pecker. :-). I was lamenting my stupid fumble into an obviously bad relationship.

I have to agree; I need to work on my picker. No religion. No relationships. [dont hold me to the last one]

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Give an example, please.

The double slit experiment comes to mind -

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit