Any of you folks from the awesome state of Colorado??

by SweetBabyCheezits 82 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Instead of being facetious, I should note that I appreciate your honest, considerate warnings, Zid. We had already ruled out Boulder due to high cost of living. Also we want smaller town feel with bigger town access.

Now if I land any contracts shooting for NatGeo, Rolling Stone, or Highlights for Kids, I might reconsider... but for the time being, a lesser town on the front range will have to do for us.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Sab: SBC your posts are suspiciously of only a single thread of late.

Which part is suspicious? And why are you so hesitant to give me your credit card information? I already told you I'm a Visa employee. What more do you need? You're so paranoid.

FWIW, today I commented on the "bad-mouthing" thread and offered a pleasing alternative (problem solved, next) and also the "bad-weather" thread... but had nothing to offer aside from condolences.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

BTTT so I can hear encouraging comments from those who would recommend moving to Colorado (and use confirmation bias to tell myself it's the right thing to do while completely discounting those who would suggest otherwise, even if their reasons are sound).

• zoiks
    zoiks

SBC- You are right to seek out views that feed your confirmation bias

• watersprout
    watersprout
    I'd like to get out there and stop being former JWs and just be.... friends and neighbors. And mountain climbers

That will be wonderful! The thought of being ''normal'' makes me happy and warm inside. Enjoy those mountains.

Peace

• ziddina
    ziddina

"Jesus H. Christ! What's the deal with Coloradans hatin' on Texans? ...
    "

Here's the story, Sooner7NC, and it's not one that you'll hear from the waves of recent immigrants into Colorado...

This is one you'll hear from the old-timer transplants and the more knowledgeable native Coloradoans...

Texas used to claim parts of Colorado and several other states as its 'territory', but fortunately these areas were annexed from Texas... From Wikipedia:

"One of the primary motivations for annexation was the Texas government's huge debts. The United States agreed to assume many of these upon annexation. However, the former Republic never fully paid off its debt until the Compromise of 1850. In return for $10 million, a large portion of Texas-claimed territory, now parts of Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Wyoming, was ceded to the Federal government. ..."

And the day-yammed Texans have never quite gotten it through their heads, that they don't OWN Colorado anymore. Some poor Texans can't take the Texas summers, so they all come up to summer in southern Colorado, and far too many of them have decided to stay...

So, did that answer your question, Sooner??

Zid the She-Devil

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

You could come to Canada. Despite what the ridiculous stories say, it's not all frozen waste up here. Plenty of civilization as well a plenty of space. Lotsa mountains here in the west too. It's a wonderland IMHO.

You're welcome to come as long as you can leave behind the trashier aspects of the American mindset...

V665V665

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    And the day-yammed Texans have never quite gotten it through their heads, that they don't OWN Colorado anymore. Some poor Texans can't take the Texas summers, so they all come up to summer in southern Colorado, and far too many of them have decided to stay..
    This is one you'll hear from the old-timer transplants and the more knowledgeable native Coloradoans...

Dang, Zid, whatever happened to "this land is your land, this land is my land?" I thought that became a national song, like, right after taking "our land" from the Native Americans who were living on the front range when the migrant settlers started moving west.

But yeah I see your point. You were there first.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...We had already ruled out Boulder due to high cost of living. Also we want smaller town feel with bigger town access. ..."

Oh, for... Some people just DON'T listen... Colorado hit its population limit about twenty years ago, and still people keep on coming...!!!

Goodbye, beautiful mountain vistas... Hello, Mono-City all along the Front Range... It's going to look like Los Angeles out here, pretty soon... Oh, wait... With the air pollution and our 25 suburbs in search of a city, it already does!!

Oh, and my comment about "high-mileage Boulder bicycling morons"?

When I provided vehicular backup for hubby during my first ever "Ride the Rockies", I expected to see professional bicyclists. Solid, well-trained, road-experienced bicyclists who KNEW how to ride in traffic.

But what I actually saw, was absolutely the exact opposite. I've seen children on tricycles who are more alert to vehicular traffic, more aware of how they should fit into the 'flow of traffic', than these arrogant morons.

Hence the term, "high-mileage morons", as opposed to, say, "professional bicyclists" or "road-seasoned bicyclists" or "traffic-aware bicyclists".

BUUUUUUUUUUT..... If you prefer the "high-mileage morons" as bicycling companions, then I indeed wish you well on your trips...

By the way...

Do you have a rear-view mirror on your bicycle or helmet?? Do you USE it, if you do have one?? Do you watch the traffic, and maintain awareness of traffic flow around you as you ride? Are you courteous to pedestrians and vehicle drivers? Do you use valid crossings and obey traffic signals? If so, then you won't fit in with the typical Boulder bicyclist... Or for that matter, with the typical Colorado bicyclist of today...

On the other hand, if you consider automobile drivers to be 'out to get you', view traffic signals and pedestrian crossings as part of "the man's" attempts to force you to 'unclip' your shoes from their pedals, ride a bicycle with wheels so fragile that you have to swerve around every bump and pothole in the road [or else you'll have to take your $3,000 - $10,000 bicycle in to the shop to have its wheels trued...], if you are prone to darting out into traffic in an attempt to get across an intersection without having to wait for the traffic to stop...

Then I think you'll fit right in....

When I was a kid growing up in Colorado, the local police department [Aurora, Colorado] issued bicycling licenses to all bicycles in their area. But BEFORE one could obtain such a license for their bicycle, a kid had to PASS A TRAFFIC LAWS TEST first. We had to show that we KNEW how to ride in and around traffic...

That requirement has been gone for a long time, and boy, does it ever show in the way Colorado bicyclists and auto drivers relate to each other . The Colorado legislature recently passed some insane bit of legal stupidity stating that auto drivers have to give bicyclists THREE FEET of clearance when they pass.

Yeah, that'll really work on those narrow Colorado rural and mountain roads... And the most idiotic part?? The bicyclists on those mountain roads don't pay ANY attention to whether there's another car coming from the OPPOSITE direction...!!!!

Like the bicyclist will somehow escape unscathed if there's a head-on collision of two cars because the bicyclist is drifting out further into the road - and on "Ride the Rockies", I've seen some knuckleheads do that DELIBERATELY to force the cars to either poke along at the bicyclist's pace, or make a hazardous pass on a blind curve or hill!!!

Man, I rode in the Los Angeles/Santa Ana traffic, but when I got back to Colorado and saw what the situation had morphed into, I pretty much put up my bicycle...

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Este just stated in another thread that he lives in Colorado. You guys could be "besties".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit