Terry's not the only one.....

by journey-on 31 Replies latest jw friends

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Powerful Evidence that Consciousness Survives Death: How Does This Impact Christianity?

http://www.ukapologetics.net/07/mindandbody.htm

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Why not choose both? If you can live on indefinitely as a human, go ahead and do so until bored with the existence, THEN move on to the next unknown adventure. It's a win-win.

Could we grow up beyond mocking people we don't agree with please? As JWs we all smugly laughed at householders who told us they were going to heaven, or that they believed Jesus is god, or that they believed in evolution, or held some other such non-JDub view of things. Are we going to keep acting like that now that we're ex-Dubs? You're so much smarter now that you know you were duped all those years by a gaggle of geriatric morons in Brooklyn? Really?

• Robdar
    Robdar

I believe that if their hunch is correct they should then study animals because I believe their brains survive too. Here is where I will be laughed off the forum:

When I was taking anatomy/physiology a few years ago, we dissected a sheep's brain. The brain was relatively fresh and had been preserved in formaldahyde. I made a couple of cuts and then started joking to the class about tiny little sheep brains (amazing that they can fit in the palm of your hand and yet provide everything the sheep needs to survive). That was when I felt a bump against my thigh and had a very strong impression that something continued to rub up against me.

I was very surprised and a little alarmed although I wasn't going to let the class know. When lab was over, I asked the professor if any of his students had ever reported such a sensation. He said, "No, only you" and laughed. I know he wasn't being unkind because I had a 4.0 in that class and we had a very good relationship.

When I got home that afternoon I started to cry. I am not exactly sure why I cried except for my deep regret that I had made fun of something that is truly miraculous: a tiny, little brain that had done most perfectly exactly what it was supposed to do. Everyday people look for miracles never realizing that we are surrounded by them if only we would pay attention.

Okay, laugh away. I probably deserve it and will not defend myself.

• sabastious
    sabastious

OP: Interesting hypothesis, bad science experiment.

-Sab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Robdar's lab partner: "Dammit, I tried everything in lab today to get Robdar to pay attention to me. I even rubbed her thigh for the last half-hour of class and SHE TOTALLY IGNORED IT."

J/K.

You had a strange experience. As long as you haven't made any claims of knowing what the cause of it was, why should you be mocked?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

"The Russian researchers Fosar and Bludorf".... lol... it just sounds funny..

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    Interesting hypothesis, bad science experiment.

Agreed. These "experiments" seem extremely flawed - for one it is already known that a flat EEG is not an indicator of no electrical brain activity, as the brain can function below the sensitivities of the machines even while the body is clearly still alive (drunk, drugged, etc.)

Secondly the article is still based more-less exclusively on anecdotal evidience. The fact that we can resuscitate people who are clinically dead is not news, nor are stories of them remembering dream-like events while their brains went through an extremely distressed state. But personal 'experiences' do not count as scientific evidence, contrary to the article's introduction.

The SIMPLEST answer is usually the correct one, so which is it:

• Although our brains are clearly sophisticated physical structures, and we can measure (through eeg/mri, etc) a direct coorilation between thought and brain activity... our conciousness is somehow not dependent on this structure, and we live on in some other dimension after death.
    • Our understanding of what type of brain activity is possible while the brain is dying may be off by a couple minutes. These studies may demonstrate that conscious thought and memory may linger for a few more minutes than we previously thought.

- Lime

• Robdar
    Robdar

Mad Sweeney, have I told you lately that I love you?

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Could we grow up beyond mocking people we don't agree with please? As JWs we all smugly laughed at householders who told us they were going to heaven, or that they believed Jesus is god, or that they believed in evolution, or held some other such non-JDub view of things. Are we going to keep acting like that now that we're ex-Dubs? You're so much smarter now that you know you were duped all those years by a gaggle of geriatric morons in Brooklyn? Really?

Yes, my thoughts exactly. We do have some intellectual giants here, don't we? I didn't know I could drum up such hysterical laughter just by posting the idea that consciousness continues on in some form after death... which is the basis and belief of almost every religion on earth. I should have been a stand-up comic, eh?

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Mad Sweeney,

Yes I have to laugh. hahaha

On a side note, why do people on here attribute everything they think it's negative to being a X-JW? Even to things that are in someway human nature? I think you're not mentally healthy yet if you still see things that way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit