Why the Memorial Is Held on the Wrong Day

by Leolaia 58 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It's all a mystery to me. More often than not, they pick the wrong day--based on when the new moon happens in a different part of the earth than where the majority of the witlesses live. They simply count 14 days from that, which usually takes us to the full moon. The catch is, they are as likely to be on Nisan 13 or 15 as they are to be on Nisan 14.

And I still remember the year when the REJECT Jesus Party was in March, while Easter was in April. And it was not the contiguous Sunday, either. The REJECT Jesus Party was a whole month before Easter that year.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

For goodness sake, they live in Brooklyn! Even in Brooklyn Heights, Jews are plentiful. No one could yell out in public, "Hey, when do you celebrate Seder." Jesus observed Jewish traditions and rituals. The Jewish authorities were good enough for him and he was God so he ought to remember when Nisan 14 was. He should remember the Exodus and particularly the events before his crucifixion. If I were Jesus, both events would stick out in my mind.

I apppreciate the details but, for me, this isn't about painstaking details. It is about false authority and humans so self-centered they don't need research libraries, consultations, discussions before action. The blood doctrine is a perfect example. How many have perished b/c they have no cohesive picture. It seems Bethel always does things ad hoc. Of course, this is not new insight for me. Nor is this new anger.

My youth was so tainted by their strange beliefs. Beliefs I never shared though I sure people pleased. They go out of their way to be different. Only they can access the Bible? Any literate person in any culture can access the Bible. The Bible authors employed different genres, poetry, narrative, etc. to paint a very complex and often contradictory picture. The Witnesses new WT is do dumbed down. God is not a dumb human.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thank you, Leolaia. For accuracy, the WT has nothing on you.

Speaking of "straining the gnat", I was at the memorial talk this year, as the congregation was bored with the many forms of drink that would not be acceptable; such as fortified wines and grape juice. What always stands out for me, though, is the failure of the congregation to partake in the meal. It is as if the entire assembly symbolically declares their segregation from Christ.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

I believe it is part of the New Understanding........

Don't question just OBEY!!!!!!!!!!!

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Speaking of "straining the gnat", I was at the memorial talk this year, as the congregation was bored with the many forms of drink that would not be acceptable; such as fortified wines and grape juice. What always stands out for me, though, is the failure of the congregation to partake in the meal. It is as if the entire assembly symbolically declares their segregation from Christ.

I believe the Watchtower is one of the most ironic entities in human history for reasons including the one you just described.

-Sab

• Robdar
    Robdar

As a Jew, I thank you Leo for the clarification. As you are aware, Pesach begins tonight for the Jews.

To Moshe with love: "Chag Sameach"

Robyn (Ariele)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

If Jews celebrate the 15th and JWs celebrate the 14th, why does it only sometimes differ?

JW's treat each year independently. The 1st of Nisan is reckoned to start at sunset on the day of the new moon closest to the spring equinox. Memorial is 14 days thereafter.

2008 & 1997 are recent years where this has made a notable difference. ("Notable" = almost a month)

I can elaborate if anybody is interested. For most people, it's pretty boring stuff

TD - that would be interesting information to add to this thread. From memory I thought they took this alternate method of calculation from the Karaites as well.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Wait so the Watchtower says that Jesus was celebrating Passover on the WRONG DAY??? Are you kidding me? I guess Jesus wasn't so perfect aftera ll

• Ding
    Ding

Great to see you posting, Leo.

Moshe should have called you instead of the KH, although I think he had fun getting in the elder's head on this.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

marking

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit