So angry with myself right now....

by Reality79 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Reality79
    Reality79

Earlier today I was at a local tyre shop standing outside getting a couple of my wheels replaced when this 'sister' who I haven't seen for a number of years decided to approach me. I didn't even recognise her at first because her hairstyle was different and she was wearing these oversized shades, but this is someone who was always funny with me from day one and hardly ever said a word to me even when I used to be in her book study group that was in her home back in the 90s.

Anyway, she asked if it was me and then she said who she was in case I didn't remember. She told me she saw my sister at the memorial last night (my sister who is inactive wasn't even going to attend that particular memorial, but because this f**king elder I used to hate called her out of the blue to "encourage" her to attend, she went along) blah blah blah but didn't get to speak to her for too long.

So she asked me what congregation I go to but then quickly asked if I'm still in the "truth". Now I could kick myself for this, but like a dummy, I told her yeah me and my wife go to another congregation in another hall a few miles away but we're leaving soon. So she asked me is that the KH on such a such road, and I said no it's the double hall on another road that a well known elder attends. She thankfully didn't ask me how was the memorial or anything like that, but I asked her how her two daughters were (who I care nothing about btw but you know when you're put on the spot....) and she was like oh yeah they're fine they live in Scotland and have two children each yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, the point I'm making is this: I've always said I would tell anyone I meet flat out that I'm not going to the meetings anymore, but today I was in my own world enjoying the warm weather while waiting for my car to get fixed and never anticipated any dubs coming up to me. In fact, most of the dubs I have seen never said a word to me so it's not like I'm even used to being approached very often. It's just that a part of me didn't want to give anyone the pleasure of having something to talk about. She probably knew that I wasn't being truthful anyway, but this is so typical of dubs. You never liked me and never said three words to me for years, so why approach me now and act all glad to see me instead of just keeping it moving? I was totally put on the spot and ended up lying, not because I was ashamed of the fact I no longer attend that mess, far from it, I just wasn't prepared today.

But I will NOT get caught out like that again!

• sabastious
    sabastious
    But I will NOT get caught out like that again!

Great learning experience! Thank you for sharing. We have to deal with odd problems don't we?

-Sab

• willyloman
    willyloman

Fading is an art.

To be successful, learn to use what they taught you. They taught you to have a presentation ready when you go out in service so you'd know exactly what you'd say if someone answered the door. They even practiced these presentations at meetings. This was designed to make you confident when you spoke to people.

So that's what you do. Right now, think about what you would like to say when you unexpectedly encounter your next dub - and you surely will. Go over it in your head until it sounds like the right response for you.

If you get yourself mentally prepared, you'll be fearless. Especially after you use it the first time.

Be strong. When confronted, remember: You are the righteous one because you had the courage to call b.s. on them and leave.

• rebel8
    rebel8

If I see a dub in public, I will go to great lengths to stay veeeeeery far away so they can't talk to me.

I don't want to be seen talking to a jw. The crazy might be contagious.

(Truth--I don't want anyone to think I know crazy people.)

• JRK
    JRK

Stuff happens. Shrug it off and go on in peace. Just a little hiccup.

JK

• Reality79
    Reality79

BTW the following day after this incident, I was in a local shopping centre where I bumped into this guy I used to be fairly good friends with. As I vowed to never repeat the same mistake as the day prior, I told him straight out that me and my wife no longer attend meetings. Surprisingly, he didn't speed off like road runner or look at me in disgust, but he actually admitted that being a witness nowadays is just an endless struggle and brings little joy!

I told him that although I'm not an 'apostate' (I'm sure I am in WTS terms) I don't believe in any organisation that claims you can only have a relationship with God/Creator through them and who dictate how and what you should act, think, talk etc as it doesn't allow for personal development and individuality. But I half jokingly said I'm not on any drugs or any other misconceptions JWs have of anyone who leaves. In fact my health has actually improved since I've left. He said he understood and could see I look well. I asked him if he was still in our old congregation and he said no he and his wife moved to a different hall a year and a half ago but it turned out to be a lot worse than their old one!

Anyway, suprisingly he asked for my number and gave me his. Maybe he'll try to talk me out of it (which will never work in a million years) or maybe I'll help him to see the real light, who knows! I'm so glad I never repeated the same mistake with the lady the day before.

Watch this space.....

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

It happens. You were caught off-guard. I don't have to worry about that since everyone knows I'm DA'd (thinks I'm DF'd is more likely) and when I see people I know they make the effort to put as much distance between us as possible. Being a fader isn't easy.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Practice makes perfect.

• nugget
    nugget

We are all caught off guard occasionally and whilst fading it is a fine line we walk. Even when we are Df'd there is the question of who do we tell and whether it is our responsibility anyway.

The funny thing is in no other walk of life do we seek to establish someones credentials to deem their worthiness for conversation but it is something witnesses do as naturally as breathing.

How long have you been in the truth? what congregation? are you an appointed man? Are you pioneering? All these questions judge and rank you.

The second encounter shows what you can accomplish when you are prepared. Good luck in your future endevors.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Sounds like the second Jw you talked to is looking for help and ecouragement .....to leave .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit