Why not fire the god who bears a grudge and hire a better one?

by Terry 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

This is a competitive universe. Well, here on Earth, anyway...

None of us has to settle for less than the very best unless we are cheap.

Why hire a cheap God when you can get a better one?

What the heck am I talking about?

I'm talking about Bible God. This deity needs to be fired and I do mean now.

I know..I know..you are going to say: "There he goes again..."

But, hear me out.

You see, I have made it pretty clear on various posts out of the ten thousand or so I've made here that I think the Bible itself has been misrepresented.

As a result of it being OVER-rated, as soon as we discover its flaws, we are very apt to chuck the whole thing in the trash bin.

The same thing is likely to be true of God. Bible God is horribly misrepresented too. We can easily get fed up with his sullen temper tantrums, grudges,

curses, threats and arbitrary value system (he plays favorites.)

I contend we need to FIRE this Bible God and hire a better one.

What does THAT mean?

It means taking personal responsibility for the kind of God you have settled for.

Tammy has proved this to me, by the way!

Tammy has a perfectly delightful God who is warm, fuzzy, loving and a real pal who is THERE for her.

Consequently, nobody's bad-mouthing of Bible God touches a hair on Tammy's flaxen-haired darling. (I'm not being sarcastic.)

Tammy has hired the best.

What are the rest of us stuck with?

Most often it is the teeth-gritting, growling, foul tempered Old Testament bully.

Or, a sort of will-o-the-wisp ethereal Zen god.

There is Super Jesus, too. He is everything! Man, God, both, neither, spirit, you name it. Completely zany and far-fetched as a Chinese algebra problem.

Let's get rid of this Sudoku superstar, shall we?

YOU'RE FIRED!

Take a moment. Deep breath. Clear your head.

What kind of God are you looking for?

The one I want to hire has to fill these requirements:

1.Kind to a fault without being a namby-pampy hippy. Solid kindness. Good souled. Helpful without asking a heavy fee.

2.No penis or vagina! I don't want anthropomorphic Gods applying. None of that women-hating nonsense. This job requires a GENUINE DEITY without human form, thoughts, attitudes or emotional baggage.

3.No Byzantine chronologies allowed! Now hear this: if something is worth doing, God, DO IT, DAMMIT! Don't string people along for thousands of years waiting and waiting and speculating and imagining....

4.MAKE YOURSELF CLEAR! Don't use humans to transmit anything. They are full of shit, goofy and unreliable. ANNOUNCE from the sky! We promise to pay attention.

5.Just Get on with it! If there is something you NEED from us--spell it out and be done with it. If you don't really need anything and don't intend to step in and help us out--get that straight with us too. Go on your merry way and let us do the best we can. But, don't flirt and leave us all hot and bothered.

Now is all that too much for you to handle?

In the final analysis, we get the God we deserve.

GOSH DARN IT---I DESERVE THE VERY BEST, so I'm staging an intervention here.

Let everybody know what kind of God you've hired (or fired.)

If a JW approaches you with their ridiculous NWT God with the veins standing out in His neck---just hold up your hand and say:

"I've dumped Jehovah for a much much nicer God. My God is so wonderful there is no name required to differentiate from all the crappy ones."

• Satanus
    Satanus

I'm actually pantheist. Guess that makes me god;)

S

• Terry
    Terry

My God drives a white E-type Jag with a Maserati engine and listens to Rachmaninoff.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Only in the mornings. Happy panthsmass!

S

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Terry, if you don't have faith in Yahweh, you should just say so and stop being a closet non-theist.

• Terry
    Terry

Terry, if you don't have faith in Yahweh, you should just say so and stop being a closet non-theist.

A REAL God doesn't require Faith any more than the Atlantic ocean requires faith. It is so obvious the question would never arise!

Bible God plays peekaboo through history. A childish game at best.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Bible God plays peekaboo through history. A childish game at best.

Oh, so now you're gonna fault the almighty for being immature?? Nobody's perfect, Terry, geez.

• recapitated
    recapitated

I flush Jehovah away every morning

• tec
    tec

Hard to take issue with what you about 'bible-god', even though it always sounds funny to me when people say God of the Bible. Like that's His title. Like that's what He is God of. The bible. Not God of the living. Not God of the universe (s). God of the Bible. I do get that people are meaning - the god that the bible is talking about, but still sounds extremely limiting to me... He is far more than the book. I know you understand this, Terry... even if your particular beliefs differ from mine regarding 'God'.

I didn't make up my own version of God though, according to what I wanted or needed. I just looked through His Son. See the Son, see the Father. Nothing else written or said matters in comparison to Him. He is the image of God. If you're talking about that God, His Father, then why look anywhere else for answers about him?

I can see the benefit in firing the WTS 'Jehovah', and starting from scratch though, certainly, especially if that's all you've ever been taught. But if you are trying to get to know Him, and wondering what He is supposed to be like, then look to His Son, the real truth.

Tammy

• trevor
    trevor

Terry: “Tammy has a perfectly delightful God who is warm, fuzzy, loving and a real pal who is THERE for her.”

It does seem that people who adopt a god, find one that suit their needs. Nice people have a nice god. People who like many words adopt a verbose god with a long name. Those that place great emotional value on belief in god, have an emotional god.

At the opposite end of human desire, crusaders who wanted to conquer foreign lands, from the Israelites through to recent European history, adopted a god who told them to go and kill the people who occupied land they wanted. People who like lots of money find a god that wants them to get rich through setting up a new branch of religion.

God can be anything you want. I don’t find the idea of a personal god who pokes his nose into my business, desirable. But I am blown away by the vastness of the universe and its mysterious power. So to me the universe is god.

Terry’s idea that we fire our god if it is not what we want and adopt one that is – sounds great to me. Whatever floats your boat!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit