My Study Conductor Jumped Ship - Any Possible Explanations?

by InterestedOne 46 Replies latest jw friends

• wasblind
    wasblind

" but in reality it is no differnet than Walmart saying we have "unlimited store access", but anything you want to take home costs extra. "

Moshe , Moshe, Moshe !!!!!!

you are surely one who can get a point across

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Moshe - Here's a general question that popped in my mind after reading your comment. Where do they learn to get so devious? My study conductor displayed exactly what you are describing, and my JW friend does it as well. I thought maybe they might learn it from the TMS/Service meeting, but so far as I have been sitting in on these meetings, the "training" presented from the platform is more dumbed down. Although I do see the tactic of equivocation being taught for their doorstep pitch, I haven't seen some of the deeper dynamic stuff being taught that I've experienced one-on-one with my conductor. It's like he took a course in how to be a salesman. I've been wondering where he/they get it.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It is ingrained into them by constantly having to read articles that use it.

Disect the series of articles on propaganda on their official website. Bait'n switch at it's finest.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20000622/article_01.htm

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

IO;

they certainly don't learn deviousness from The Great Teacher Book! LOL

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Black Sheep - Thanks for that example. I didn't quite put 2 & 2 together regarding how much the literature contributes to their way of interacting with others. If you ask them a question, they're probably recalling what they've read in the literature, so I can see how they would be transferring the written tactics to real-time.

Still, I'm wondering about some of the informal phrases & tactics they use. Having seen a few random youtube videos that catch JW's in action, I've noticed certain phrases that, disturbingly, are -exactly- the same ones that my study conductor & my friend use. Two that come to mind at the moment are "Debate... we don't do that" and "you can do what you want." Even the vocal inflection was the same. Some of the dynamic tactics they use were mentioned by Mad Sweeney in another thread as follows:

"They don't jump straight to lying. When you ask a question they don't want to answer they try to change the subject first. If that doesn't draw you off the scent, they will then obfuscate and answer a question that is sort of like what you asked but not exactly. It is only when you have them cornered that they will outright lie."

And I also observed that they will say "why are you asking that?" Do you think these are basic human coping mechanisms that individual JW's have figured out on their own, or are they coaching each other to act that way? Like is field service a time where those more experienced in these salesman methods teach the new ones how to do it? I'm just amazed that some random JW's caught on youtube would use the same informal phrases & vocal inflection as my study conductor, my friend, and the JW's I speak with at the hall. It's really weird.

• sherah
    sherah

JW's have a lot of literature to read & study, meeting to attend that require participation. They practice 'WT-style teaching' at the TMS and in weekly FS.

In the literature, certain words/phrases are repeated again and again. The materials for talks come from pre-scripted outlines. Check out the Reasoning Book. At the end of each topic, supposed FAQ's from the ministry are included. The WT teaches how 'not' to ask answer these questions by either focusing on another related topic or questioning the reason/motive of the person asking.

Don't underestimate the cumulative effect of these teachings and being around people who think/speak/act the same way.

• steve2
    steve2

Person who keeps studying with JWs but who also keeps questioning their claims? Extremely annoying.

JW who has studied with the person but who changes to a more distant foreign-language congregation? Brilliant way to avoid an extremely annoying person.

Are they connected? Probably not directly - but call it a "side" benefit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit