My Study Conductor Jumped Ship - Any Possible Explanations?

by InterestedOne 46 Replies latest jw friends

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

My study conductor has informed me that he & his wife are switching to a foreign language congregation that is far away from the territory they live in (it will involve a lot of driving back & forth). Because he is switching congregations, he said he will not have the energy to devote to my study and recommended another brother who could take over, and I have met him. However, this change happened simultaneously with a decision I have made. Since I have been reading up on critical thinking and analyzing arguments, I have decided that I would like to evaluate the Bible Teach book from the very beginning testing for sound or unsound argumentation. I have also decided that I would rather discuss it over email instead of meeting in person every week, so I can do it at my own pace. I asked the brother who was supposed to take over my study if he would do it with me over email. He seemed uncomfortable about the idea of email and said he has 4 other studies and may not be able to accommodate me. He also said he would need to discuss it with my former conductor. My former conductor got back to me and simply said "there is no arrangement for email Bible studies." I got back to him and said, "what do you mean there is no arrangement? I have a Bible and email, and I can make an arrangement." He responded more specifically saying, "We do not offer Bible studies via email."

At this point I am wondering something. We were in ch 9 of the Bible Teach book, and I wanted to maintain the line of thought from the end of ch 8 where the book claims there is evidence to confirm the WT beliefs about 1914. As we examined what the book was presenting as evidence in ch 9, I said that I did not understand why it would count as evidence. He told me I was being too scientific and read me 1 Cor 2:14 which says "But a physical man does not receive the things of the spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot get to know [them], because they are examined spiritually." Could it be that his switch might have anything to do with my study being difficult for him, or is it more likely to just be coincidence & his switch determined by other factors unrelated to my study? Is there anything in JW culture & switching congregations that I might not be aware of that might have any bearing on what might be going on with him? Is it possible I reflected badly on him in his local congregation since I wasn't showing progress after 9 months of study? Could he be having doubts & switching to a far away congregation as a way to fade? Is that something JW's do to fade to avoid scrutiny by their local congregation? I'm curious what those of you with more JW experience think about the situation.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

He has doubts all right. He doubts you will EVER become a JW so you are no longer worth his time.

Honestly, an email Bible study is WAY EASIER than having to show up in person every week. You can respond at your leisure, right? So they are copping out on you because it is clear you are way smarter than them and they have no good answers for your questions. Your questions cause cognitive dissonance and they can only avoid the discomfort by avoiding YOU.

It was fun while it lasted but it's over. You are going to have to find another person to try to study with you, I am afraid.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

I think it's a coincidence, it's not likely he switched congregations because of a bible study. My parents did this when I was about 11. Foreign language territory is much more exciting, people actually respond. The usual english territory in the US is really apathetic and they work a lot and have their own churches. Also, foreign language, in my experience, puts you out there more as there aren't as many people in the group. It's harder to fade if you're in a smaller group. What language are they switching to?

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

That's the first stage in the process of leaving the religion that you do not believe in anymore.

HappyDad

• designs
    designs

Ain't Karma a wonderful thing......

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

When people change kh's to one that is farther away from thier home, it usually means they have one foot out of the WT. I know because this is exactly what me and my husband did.

• pirata
    pirata

Many JWs in my area are joining foreign language groups to "reach out", not to fade.

• designs
    designs

Humans need their fixes, JWs jumping on the foreign language band wagon gives them some temporal high...

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

It might be a combination of him moving on the foreign language field and some frustration with you not progressing as fast as he'd like. Don't get me wrong, I don't know you, and I don't know your motives. However, if its been 9 months, and you're only on chapter 9 of the Bible Teach book...........you ain't exactly Einstein bruh, at least in JW culture. That book is the dumbest down of the dumbed down books. I mean its Corky levels of retardation, and its taken as long as a woman's concieving and delivery to get to the 9th chapter. Yeah, he might be just be sick of you by now.

• jay88
    jay88

Many go to foreign language or sign cong., because they don't want to be bothered, I think Prince goes to a spanish cong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit