My article was published

by RunningMan 22 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Much to my surprize, I received an e-mail from a webzine this morning, telling me that one of my articles was published. They must be very hard up for material.

It is on the subject of "The Women of the Bible". It outlines some of the gender discrimination of the Bible, and highlights a few inconsistancies in some of the Bible stories that mention women.

If anyone is interested, it can be found at: http://www.liberator.net/

It is the first article on the page.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

RunningMan,

I'm happy that your article got published. Cute example of your mother wearing a paper napkin to pray. We know where that came from ;)

j2bf

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Great article, RunningMan, and very funny!

Much of your material was new to me, and I love the subtitles: "The Old and the Beautiful," "Hagar the Horrible," and "The Geriatric Beauty Queen."

I had never done the math on these accounts, so I had no idea Ishmael was about 16 when Hagar was carrying him on her shoulder and throwing him under bushes.

Thanks so much for sharing the link!

Ginny

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Congratulations, Running Man!!!
    The Bible and many other religious literatures were written by men, who in turn were a product of their society. It isn't often that ANY social group is going to give up power, and that includes these men.
    Add to that, the fundamentalism of some of those who INTERPRET religious writings and you get a range of religious laws up to the extremety of the Taliban.
    Excellent article, and congratulations on being a new kind of publisher.
    I personally find the JW policy for the treatment of women extremely offensive, and it puzzles me how any woman born and educated in our society allows herself to be submissive . Just my outsiderness showing.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Congrats and well done Runningman getting that article published.

hawk

• siegswife
    siegswife

Very cool. Congratulations!

• TR
    TR

Excellent article! Hilarious!

TR

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    --Benjamin Franklin, 1759

• outnfree
    outnfree

I enjoyed that, Running Man!

Thanks for the link. You should be proud!

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• Lari
    Lari

Hi Runningman. Congratulations - that was a great article!

I have a questions though:
    The third year of the reign of king Ahasuerus was 484 B.C. Now, let’s get the age of Esther, calculated through her uncle and step father, Mordecai.
    “Now there was a Jew in Susa the capital whose name was Mor'decai, the son of Ja'ir, son of Shim'e-i, son of Kish, a Benjaminite, who had been carried away from Jerusalem among the captives carried away with Jeconi'ah king of Judah, whom Nebuchadnez'zar king of Babylon had carried away. He had brought up Hadas'sah, that is Esther, the daughter of his uncle, for she had neither father nor mother; the maiden was beautiful and lovely, and when her father and her mother died, Mor'decai adopted her as his own daughter.” - Esther 2:5-7

How do we know they refer to Mordecai as being the Benjamite and not Kish? It seems to read either way. I am not a scholar by any means and am just curious. Thanks

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone.

Lari: That's a good point. I compared several translations and was unable to come up with a definitive answer. My source for reading it the way I did was "Assimov's Guide to the Bible". It seems to be the common understanding that the scripture referred to Mordecai. However, there is a case for it being read the other way.

At any rate, it's more fun this way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit