Lost Legitimate Opportunities For Love

by PublishingCult 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mama1119
    mama1119

I pretty much only liked the non-witnesses. I tried to like the witness guys, but they were so geeky and immature. I dated outside the religion often. I did always try to convert the dates , but to no avail (thankfully). I did break up with one guy because he wouldn't budge on how much he disliked the religion. We eventually got married and are expecting our fourth baby!

• sherah
    sherah

Yup, many missed connections with non-JW potentials. I was a true believer and strictly followed the rules....too depressing to dwell on.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I was 12 back in 2002-2003 and a girl at my school asked me out. I told her, I could not date her because I was a JW.I still feel regret saying no. Confronting members of the opposite sex is still weird for me and I'm 20 yrs old.

That reminds me of the time waaay back in middle school when I was told this one girl liked me and that I should go out with her. It was true, as I talked with her after a school concert. But I was afraid--my sister got busted twice for having worldly boyfriends, and I knew I'd get caught too. So I did nothing. After that there was another offer from a girl that I just let dwindle. Although things are much better these days (though not great), I felt bad for passing up those opportunities for experience.

The best thing I can tell you, d, is that practice makes perfect. I used to feel very awkward about talking to girls, too--it didn't help that I was playing videogames for hours on end with other dudes, and not being social. Just try baby steps. Initiate brief chats with girls you may see in public places. Don't be too concerned about getting phone numbers at first, just keep whittling away at your shyness. After you feel good with that, get to a point where you feel in control--where you can tease them, challenge them, etc. Soon, talking to attractive girls won't be a problem, but you do have to take proactive steps to build up your confidence.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Sadly Yes, two of them.

• d
    d

Thanks sirNose586.I should try that.I just wonder How shoud I start a conversation?

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

This thread makes me think of an experience when I was about 21,22 and regular pioneering. Two of my buddies were out in service and decided to stop over at McDonalds and grab a bite to eat before going to meet the group. When we walked in there were some girls at the counter talking and look over at us. One of them was a really pretty latina, dark eyes,black hair attractiver. Well when they were walking out and passing us, the girlm I noticed had written her number and name on a napkin.

One of my friends go awww dude, she gave you her number. My other friend was just staring at me and said ,"so whatv are you going to do with it ?"

I was like, "What ?"

He says "you going to throw it away right ?"

I threw it away.

There are a few people I think if I weren't so concerned about them not being JW's, maybe something could have come of it.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Thanks sirNose586.I should try that.I just wonder How shoud I start a conversation?

Context of the situation is easiest. If you're out shopping for clothes, you might strike up a conversation with a female employee/shopper who happens to be browsing the racks. "Wow, I guess subtelty is out of the question," you might remark about some shirt with a provocative slogan on it, for example. Make a sarcastic observation about something. Little jokes are always welcome. Another example: you're in line at the bank, and it's taking way too long. "I guess running my other errands is out of the question, huh?"

If you're ever out in public and she makes eye contact with you, it doesn't matter what you say. Even saying "Hi" is better than looking away, embarrassed. She wants to talk, so take advantage.

One important note, if you're going to be doing that to random girls: make sure she's at least partially turned towards you. If you talk at her back, or get her attention when she's 10 or more feet away, you send out massive "creep" signals. Not good.

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

I can't imagine how marrying "only in the Lord" would apply to the Jehovah's Witness religion. I'm SURE that's what the writer was thinking. ...."by extention".

• redsoxfan1393
    redsoxfan1393

I am a senior in high school and there is a girl I have been close friends with for years. We just click and can talk about pretty much anything and the best part of my day is when I am talking to her. Nobody at school knows I am a JW so not asking her out is looked at strangly by my friends. Its really hard for me right now with senior prom coming up and I am getting pressure to ask this girl out and I can't and I really want to....

Hey might not be my true love, but the moment I get out of this BS religion that has ruined my childhood and I go to college finding out if she is meant for me is the first thing I plan to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit