inactive true believers

by jeckle 11 Replies latest jw friends

• jeckle
    jeckle

I work with a guy that was raised a witness. He is in his late 20's maybe 30. He was born in but never baptized.He was in the army at one point a couple of years or so; he managed to avoid action. He recently married his live in girlfriend(she is catholic, but he's working her to convert).His jdub mom lives with them and has before their mariage, and he is studing.

At times he has the new convert zeal.He has engaged me in biblical conversations but doesnt seem to know know how to defend his faith.He is thoroughly convinced tho and gets upset if you don't agree.He doesn't get abusive just visible shaken and dumbfounded.this is what i find odd.

#1 he can't defend it, basically he doesn't know what he believes.

#2 he's been around it that long and he is sitting on the fence, which is something he thought to accuse me of once, which is when i proceeded to let him have it with things i've seen and learned that he couldn't defend.

I dont hate the guy I get it. It's just that now that I'm on this side it gives me a different perspective. and sadly he looks foolish no insult intended i look foolish all the time. Just ask my exwife.lol

• cantleave
    cantleave

Get him to read Captives of a Concept and Crisis of Conscience.

• jeckle
    jeckle

on my last conversation with him i actually wish i could give it to his wife. but strangely his mind set seemed like he wouldnt even go there hard to describe the type of bloak

• Perry
    Perry

Paul Simon Song - "Still crazy after alll these years, yeah....still studying after all these years"

Poor guy. Pray for him.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

LOL, my ex is one. Still all the beliefs and stupid moralisation, will infringe these as conveinient with random birthdays and Christmas celebrations some years but not others, dates guys (but gets dumped as she is a prude), and too damn idle ever to make a meeting.

Mark you, this made it real easy for my daughters (18 and 20) to grow up free of belief, so I see her loserosity as a good thing.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If you have ever asked a question that he has avoided ..... it is time to ask it again.

Keep on picking away at the same old scab. Don't start a new one.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

http://www.freeminds.org/psychology/mind-control/

You might find something useful here...

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I think they are the worst kind. One day he will probably go back in, all gung-ho, and be used as an example of someone that screwed up their life in the world and now came back to Jehovah. The damage is what will be done to those he drags along with him, such as his wife.

One line of reasoning to take with him is that he only believes that religion is the true one because he was born into it. He does not know enough about it to know it is the truth, and doesn't know enough about other religions to know they are not. He thinks the Watchtower is truth simply due to an accident of genes. He is just like most people in most religions.

• jgnat
    jgnat

He's showing all the classic signs of cognitive dissonance. The link above, freedomofmind, gives tips on how to "snap him out of it".

• jeckle
    jeckle

cool im gonna try some of those when he brings it up again. thanx all

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit