JW superstitions about the memorial -

by james_woods 51 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Really? Wow, how'd that go?

Actually, nobody said a word. The body of elders well knew that I was questioning certain doctrines.

What I did was to read every verse in the gospels that said a word about the last supper, (without any comment at all), and then directed the MS guys to pass the bread & wine.

I did get some criticism for allowing many of the young kids to taste the bread and wine (on the platform) after the ceremony had ended.

I resigned as an elder about 4 months later and never attended another meeting past about 10 minutes at one last circuit assembly.

Like singer Tom Petty said - "I sing this victory song - I'm already gone".

• stapler99
    stapler99

I don't know about make-up memorials a month later. I've known of cases where the emblems have been taken to someone on the next day because they were too infirm to attend. (Because the day starts at sunset in the Jewish calendar, it is still Nisan 14.) I also remember sometime direction was given that this shouldn't be done. Although it is an academic point now, because there are no anointed left in the local area.

I wonder at what point those claiming to be anointed ceased to be in the majority. I wonder how they felt to see their numbers dwindling.

• james_woods
    james_woods

stapler99 - the "lunar month later" could actually have been a local JW tradition (I was in Oklahoma City at the time), but it was presented to us that this was Jewish tradition that the passover could be celebrated on next full moon if for some reason it could not be done on "Nisan". Like for instance, if the anointed were unconscious on the day but came to later.

As I have been gone for over 30 years, I have no idea if this is still a current teaching.

Many of these WT traditions came about as a sort of imitation of Pharisee Jewish tradition as imagined by the WTBTS.

Just as Sylvia said above - very much like the Pharisees.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

When my dad was an elder - I remember my mom washing the plates and and glasses that were used for the memorial. We never used those plates or glasses except when my mom got them out for the memorial. When my dad stepped down from elder - they never asked to use our special plates and glasses anymore.

I was only 11 but I think even I felt remotely snubbed.

• seawolf
    seawolf

9) - If someone of the annointed is sick and cannot be at the KH on the real day (Nisan 14), a makeup memorial can be held on the very next full moon.

wow wonder if they bring a silver bullet

• stapler99
    stapler99

Actually I think I do remember something about this. I've looked around and I think this comes from Numbers 9. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers%209&version=NIV

2 Chronicles 30 may be relevant (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Chronicles+30-31&version=NIV).

• james_woods
    james_woods

Thank you, Stapler99.

The point is that Jesus came to eliminate that kind of law, and the JWs glorify this sme type of Pharisaicall law.

Note that even what we have of the bible of times says "as often as you do this" - I.E. - NO RULES.

• stapler99
    stapler99

If you take Numbers 9 seriously, you would also have to postpone the Memorial celebration if you were ritually unclean on account of your contact with a corpse.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    if you were ritually unclean on account of your contact with a corpse.

If you actually touched the corpse.

My dog has killed several birds and rats in his run (even one turtle) - but I could claim to the elders that I picked up the remains with a shovel?

How ridiculous can something so simple be to a supposedly Christian free community?

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

My Dad & I always got a new suit, shirt, & tie. My Mom & sisters always got new duds too. My mother was always very much into our appearance while at the hall. To this day, I still love to collect ties. I can tie a perfectly dimpled Double Windsor. I guess that's the only good thing I ever took away from the Borg.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit